What do you consider high mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see many posts talking about high mileage cars and then see the mileage quoted is in the low 100k range. I personally don't consider thst high mileage per today's technology and engine reliability. When I was a kid if you got 100k miles the car was about done. Today to me thst seems like just breaking in. Of course there are so many variables but I just can't see 100k as being high mileage. What are your thoughts???

Depends on what you mean by high mileage.

One reasonable definition would be that mileage beyond which excessive repairs or unreliability make regular use of a vehicle impractical. My non dealership Volvo repair guy said that it got expensive to keep a mid 80's Volvo going much beyond 300,000 Km (187,000 miles). My '86 Volvo 740 Turbo made it to (18 years and) 285,000 Km by which time rust was becoming an appearance factor. It was still running really well (though I had rebuilt the overdrive at about 200,000 Km). I think that's too low for today's cars. Most cars will make 250,000 miles today.

Having to pass California smog is the tough one for my Honda. So far it's been okay but as some of those necessary parts start to disappear it might get a bit difficult.

I believe a good vehicle can get to 250k miles with proper maintenance and only minimal or no repairs. A lot of that depends on what kind of miles and how quickly they add up. Here in PA most cars are showing at least some body rust at the 10 year point but still have several years left before it gets to serious. If you average 25k per year, as I do, mostly highway, 300k should be attainable before repairs and rust start to become overwhelming.

100,000 miles = vehicle is broken in
200,000 miles = got my money's worth
300,000 miles = driving on borrowed time

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
My wife.

Funny, I'm thinking about her, too...

On topic...250k is where I'd think, "if she's still running well, 300k. Some issues...fix em or sell. You had a good ride."

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
250K miles.

+1

That's where IMO high mileage starts at. I'm only running High Mileage oil in my car right now because Pennzoil sent it to me for free.

It depends upon the vehicle and the maintenance.

Some vehicles that are almost exclusively city driven are well worn around 100,000 miles. The same vehicle with the bulk of the miles highway may just be well broken in. It's not practical to assign one random number and call it "high mileage".

This is an interesting question. I have owned several vehicles, some brand new, some low mileage well cared for used, some beaters, etc. I consider myself to provide significantly above average car care i.e. proper maintenance, careful driving, garaged, washings etc. None of my vehicles ever experience serious powertrain issues but I find they are just starting to wear out at around the 140,000 km (86,000 miles) and for me are done at 160,000 km (the classic 100,000 miles). By worn out I mean... the suspension needs work, various small and annoying things are cropping up (cruise control stops working, power windows don't work, rattles [which I hate], seats are worn, rust etc.). None of this would stop me from driving it if I were a student and / or tight on cash and I have been both in my life. I just can't get a vehicle to last more than 140-160kms it seems. My current driver has about 92,000 kms on it. I will be shopping when it hits 120 / 130 for sure as it will be tired. The rear bumper already has rust on it and there is a rattle behind the dash and another one in the driver door, etc. Consequently once this pattern developed in my car ownership, I really scaled back the maintenance work. Not negligently but to the bare minimum i.e. manufacturers OCI, if the fluids are life i.e. transmission / diff / brake fluid etc. then I don't change them anymore where I used to. I frankly got tired of maintaining a vehicle meticulously then selling a vehicle that was worn out to me (loose, some stuff not working, rusting etc.) with a perfect powertrain.

I know I'm gonna get flack for this, but at 100K it's time for me to replace a vehicle because to me it's at it's life expectancy. High mileage starts for me at around 60K. Typically repairs start before then and it starts nickle and diming me to the point over its value. I've personally never owned a vehicle that went to or over 100K without needing a ridiculously expensive repair that was close or over the value of the vehicle. The Equinox at 80k something needed a head gasket and/or intake gasket along with other nitpicking stuff. My 2007 Nissan Frontier was on the verge of motor replacement at 72K. This is all with recommended maintenance done on it over the years. There's a couple more in there, but I'll spare details. Either I'm very unlucky, or I've just unknowingly bought junk. Those two previous vehicles were bought used though.

The Jetta turned over 70K the other week and I'm sorting out and figuring out its replacement twords the end of the year. Knock on wood it's actually been the most reliable.

I've known a few "3-5 years and I get a new car" types. They're good friends to have because you can get a great car someone else paid the bulk of the depreciation on. So, I'll sock the extra 10 grand into my Roth IRA so you can have a squeak and rattle free car. I'll drive your junker for another 200k, 10+ years. Just be sure not to hate me when I'm 55 and retired.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
250K miles.

+1

That's where IMO high mileage starts at. I'm only running High Mileage oil in my car right now because Pennzoil sent it to me for free.

+3

Originally Posted By: Delta
I know I'm gonna get flack for this, but at 100K it's time for me to replace a vehicle because to me it's at it's life expectancy. High mileage starts for me at around 60K. Typically repairs start before then and it starts nickle and diming me to the point over its value. I've personally never owned a vehicle that went to or over 100K without needing a ridiculously expensive repair that was close or over the value of the vehicle. The Equinox at 80k something needed a head gasket and/or intake gasket along with other nitpicking stuff. My 2007 Nissan Frontier was on the verge of motor replacement at 72K. This is all with recommended maintenance done on it over the years. There's a couple more in there, but I'll spare details. Either I'm very unlucky, or I've just unknowingly bought junk. Those two previous vehicles were bought used though.

The Jetta turned over 70K the other week and I'm sorting out and figuring out its replacement twords the end of the year. Knock on wood it's actually been the most reliable.
An Equinox, Jetta, or Frontier are not known for reliability at all, you should get much more life out of that Camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back