scored Mobil 1 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was perusing the oil isle at the local walmart the other day and stumbled on 5 vintage quarts of pre-4T Mobil 1 5w40 turbo diesel oil for $2 a quart. I can't find and dates on the bottles but only 1 has the CJ4 rating, the rest are CI4. The bottles are sealed but well worn and scuffed like they're be shuffled around alot. Just in time to service my mower for spring.

The CI-4 ones are good stuff, the same as Delvac 1. I still have a couple of quarts of it left, it's high TBN combined with ULSD means it lasts a LONG time in a diesel.

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
Was it much different than the 5w40 4T that's available now? I've been wanting to try that in my 6.7 powerstroke.

I believe the older CI-4 rating allowed a higher sulfur content, and they tended to have a higher TBN. If you have a 2008+ year diesel with the emissions equipment intact I don't think you can use the CI-4 stuff.

Was it much different than the 5w40 4T that's available now? I've been wanting to try that in my 6.7 powerstroke.
The CI-4 oil has a higher sulfated ash level, too high for a DPF or SCR diesel. However, if you hit a bump & your emission equipment were to fall off-you'd be good to go!
wink.gif

What are you running now? If Delo/Rotella/Delvac, I would be highly skeptical that this oil is "better".

I'm currently running Rotella T6. In the F250 at 5k intervals (roughly 6 months).
I bought the Mobil 1 mainly for my Kubota diesel mower with no emissions equipment.
I've considered the Mobil 1 for the powerstroke but the additional $10 a gallon price keeps me pouring Rotella

There's been a few isolated opportunities to score Delvac 1 cheaply-I picked up 5 gallons when NAPA had it for $21.99-a $12 rebate per gallon. Consensus has been that Delvac 1 and CI-4 TDT were both very high in PAO, Doug Hillary has posted great results using the D1 in OTR use.

Of course. With the switch to CJ-4, Delvac 1 remained primarily PAO, and it seems that TDT did not. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 carries significantly more builder approvals, too. Up here, it's half the price, because TDT is only carried as a consumer grade option at places that have the highest markup, notably Walmart Canada and Canadian Tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back