Honda GCV160 - Hard Winter Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Honda GVC160 powered pressure washer (with manual choke) that I've been using recently in 0C temperatures and it's noticeably harder to start than in the 20C summer. I've discovered that I can only seem to pull start it by popping off the air filter temporarily. This is a brand new air filter too, so not like it's clogged. I also start it with the pressure washer trigger depressed to minimize load.

I've recently serviced: the fuel filter, air filter, OEM NGK BPR6ES plugs with the proper gap, oil, carb fully cleaned, and engine fully seafoamed. Anything else you guys can think of to help make it easier to start? Is it normal for this engine to behave this way in the cold?

Last edited:
How about a 1 second blast of starter fluid into the air filter?
I started my lawnmower today for the first time in 2 months since I don't drain the carbs and I don't want gas to get stale I typically start them once mid winter.
I put a 1 second hit of starter fluid onto the air filter and it started on the first pull...

Also can you verify that the choke is actually working? Maybe when it is running for awhile turn the choke and and see if it slows down? Maybe the choke circuit isn't working properly?

Last edited:
Running 10W30 conventional oil.

The manual choke definitely works. As per the manual, it's started in the restricted position (to run richer) for starting then put in the wide open position for normal operation.

Except being a little harder to pull, that Honda should start right up. Maybe the carb is clogged. Now that I think about it, maybe it's jetting is not right for winter. You'd have to ask Bubbatime or JTK or someone else who might know the specs for Winter versus Summer use.

Also, many novices (not saying you're a novice!) who clean Honda carbs don't clean out every passage. Specifically, they don't take the screw or plastic plug out of the top of the carb and clean that passage. If it has the black plastic plug, there is a pin hole through it's tip that needs to be cleaned out with a very fine wire. That spot, if dirty, makes for hard starting and uneven (surging) running when you do get it started.

Also, if you need to prime it to get it started, don't use starting fluid. It's hard on small engines if used regularly. A little spritz of carburetor cleaner works just as well if it's not 10 below zero. Just some uneven, discombobulated thoughts.

Last edited:
Of course you get suggestions on oil weight... They don't even know what oil you have in the engine but that doesn't stop them from throwing out suggestions.

I agree with yeehaw ^^ in that it is likely due to the carb jetting. Especially since pulling the air cleaner has an effect. Small engines are finicky with jets and temperature differences, and your engine was most likely not tuned to run at 0 C. If you use it a lot at these colder temps you should be able to find a variety of different jets and experiment.

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I did clean the carb thoroughly. Definitely took apart the jet assembly and needle plunger, gave everything a nice cleaning with carb cleaner. Didn't use a wire on the pinhole though, I forced carb cleaner through generously. It was spotless in there. If I were to try to clean again, what could I do different?

With the air filter pulled, it starts right up and seems to run a bit better before it warms up. That's why I was leaning towards somehow improving the air flow, maybe with modifications to the intake cover or see if some filters flow better than others.

I have a hard to start B and S engine on my pressure washer.

I pull the plug, shot of starter fluid and then she will fire up.

Sometimes even have to do that when it I warm. Don't understand that though

Now that I think about it, if the engine is far enough away from where you're spraying, just leave the air cleaner off when using during the Winter. Snowblowers don't have air cleaners because of the lack of dust and sediment in the air while it's cold outside. Just have to make sure water doesn't get into the intake. Could fashion a guard out of roof flashing or a soft, shape-able material like it.

I have encountered the same thing and suspect Honda set up the engines differently based on their application. I have a Honda GC160K1 on a HS622 Snowblower and a GCV160 on a pressure washer. The Snowblower starts on the first pull every time no matter the temperature. But even on hot summer days when the pressure washing with the GVC160 takes some finesse, usually by modulating the choke. I note that the GCV160 on the pressure washer is set to run at full speed and power all the time while the GC160K1 on the Snowblower has an adjustable throttle. Both have the usual Honda reliability.

Originally Posted By: nobb
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I did clean the carb thoroughly. Definitely took apart the jet assembly and needle plunger, gave everything a nice cleaning with carb cleaner. Didn't use a wire on the pinhole though, I forced carb cleaner through generously. It was spotless in there. If I were to try to clean again, what could I do different?

With the air filter pulled, it starts right up and seems to run a bit better before it warms up. That's why I was leaning towards somehow improving the air flow, maybe with modifications to the intake cover or see if some filters flow better than others.

Not saying the carb isn't clean. The jets are an orifice through which the fuel flows through. They come in different sizes, and can be changed out. At colder temps yours is likely running lean and needs a larger jet.

A brand new carburetor for that engine, from Honda, is about $12 to $15. Change your oil to 5W30 synthetic, swap out the fuel in the tank for fresh, and plop a new carb on there and should be good to go.

0W-30 oil, and fresh WINTER gasoline should make it start easy.

Do not overlook the importance of using winter gasoline. If you have gasoline in it that was bought in the summer, you can expect hard starts because summer gasoline will not put off enough vapors in winter temperatures.

0W-30 oil will stay the most fluid in cold temperatures and thus will allow the engine to turn faster when you try to start it.

I have not had good luck cleaning out carbs on Honda GCV160s. I tried to clean out 2 different carbs on 2 different engines, and they both continued to run poorly after I cleaned them. I ended up replacing the carbs on both of them. Once I installed the new carbs, they ran great. You also need to make sure all the gaskets between the air filter, carb, and engine are good. If any of those are leaking, they can let unmetered air into the engine and cause performance issues.

Interesting to note. Why do you think that may be? A carb is a fairly simple device...if it's clean it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back