Cabin air filters with charcoal added

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I changed my cabin filter recently I went with the standard filter along with a new engine air filter , total for both of them together was $15 shipped to my door . This is for my 2014 Corolla . The thing about a charcoal filter is they look dirty from brand new so it`s hard to tell when they really are dirty when you pull them to look at them .

I am on the 2nd charcoal acticvated cabin AF in my BMW, and they're made by Corteco, I think the OE supplier for my car. I think they do a good job of filtering bad odors.
My wife's Mazda6 had a regular cabin AF from factory, and I changed it to a charcoal type at about 40k miles. I think it does make a difference.

What about people [censored] [censored] in the [censored] car? What will your [censored] charcoal filters do then?

Last edited:
Just changed out the cabin filter in the DD. Using the 2nd charcoal filter (had bought 2 charcoal) and don't think I can tell the difference between charcoal & non-charcoal. Cheap ATP brand via Amazon. Maybe next change I'll go non-charcoal then see if I can notice any difference.

Originally Posted By: saltyroads
What about people [censored] [censored] in the [censored] car? What will your [censored] charcoal filters do then?

Believe it or not, they're designed to clean the air coming from outside of the car, so it won't and can't do anything about flatulence.

I doubt it will do much to clean up your vocabulary either.

I would suggest better friends, and perhaps an open window.

Yep. I use the purolator cabin air filters because they're charcoal impregnated. I used to get the FRAM filters but I could only get them online and I got tired of unloading $50-$60 to make the shipping worthwhile.

They don't eliminate exhaust smell completely but they reduce it a lot. It also kind of helps when you need to change it out because you'll start to smell the exhaust fumes again
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I do not think that,tels us anything HTSS TR.

Fresh air mode seems to allow more air into the cab as speed increases. This, I do recall, happens on cars without filters. On recirculate, there is no pressure from the windspeed to do any heating or cooling.

I do not know whether a cabin filter is working all the time when the fan is blowing, only in recirc or only in fresh air.....or even when the AC is engaged or not.....not a clue, but different setups could work in different ways!

Cabin filter is working on fresh air only regardless A/C is on or off, not on recirculate.

If you drive through a pig or cow farm you can smell it with recirculate off(fan on or off makes no difference), as soon as you turn recirculate on no more smell.

not these days. the air intake for recirc is in front of the cabin filter, on the dirty side so cabin air does get filtered on recirc. I'm sure there's going to be cars that are not like thisn, but I haven't seen any recently.

Originally Posted By: walterjay
I bought one of the Fram carbon impregnated cabin filters for my car. I never noticed any cleaner or less odorous air. What I did find is that my air flow was restricted considerably. Just this weekend, I switched back to a Purolator regular cabin filter. I could not believe the difference in air flow.
I will never have a carbon filter again.

That's what I thought I had noticed in my Accent with a pair of tiny panel CAFs. I switched to carbon CAF and noticed that I had to put the fan setting to 2-3 just to notice the A/C. (After that which made me recharge the A/C system for the first time.)
It did however, a pretty good job at eliminating daily odors of an aging city vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back