2015 F-250 OEM Rear Sway Bar Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a post earlier why pickups don't come with rear swaybars as factory. One of the reasons I read was that it limits rear axle articulation when offroading. I installed a rear swaybar in my Silverado from a Tahoe (which measures at a fat 1 1/8") the handling and cornering feels way improved and I love the feel of the rear snapping straight when coming out of a turn.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I made a post earlier why pickups don't come with rear swaybars as factory. One of the reasons I read was that it limits rear axle articulation when offroading. I installed a rear swaybar in my Silverado from a Tahoe (which measures at a fat 1 1/8") the handling and cornering feels way improved and I love the feel of the rear snapping straight when coming out of a turn.
The strange thing is that it will come on any Ford 4x4 as long as you order the camper package AND it has 18" tires. I have not read there was any problems with swaybars and offroading, but it is possible since the axle is now "guided". I will have to check on the other forums where I am subscribed and see if there is any information on it.

There is a valid reason as to why it isn't offered on all trucks, unfortunately I can't remember the exact reason. It has something to do with being hard on the tires/rear end.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
There is a valid reason as to why it isn't offered on all trucks, unfortunately I can't remember the exact reason. It has something to do with being hard on the tires/rear end.
How so? Plenty of trucks (cars as well) out there with them for this to be the reason. One would this would be common knowledge if this were the case.

Using auto racing terms,

Most vehicle manufacturers intentionaly make the handling traits to feel 'tight' (front end push) rather than 'loose' (rear end slide) as a safety factor.

If the vehicle is pushed beyond it's handling limits,
an unexperienced driver will usualy let off the gas sooner if the front end starts pushing and regain traction easier. (no counter steer required)

Most performance enthusiasts prefer a slightly 'loose' handling trait,
being able to handle a vehicle that hangs the back end out a bit going around / exiting corners under power.

On an unloaded pick-up truck, a stiff rear sway bar makes the back end 'loose' (less body roll) and more prone to slide.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mlatour
Using auto racing terms,

Most vehicle manufacturers intentionaly make the handling traits to feel 'tight' (front end push) rather than 'loose' (rear end slide) as a safety factor.

If the vehicle is pushed beyond it's handling limits,
an unexperienced driver will usualy let off the gas sooner if the front end starts pushing and regain traction easier. (no counter steer required)

Most performance enthusiasts prefer a slightly 'loose' handling trait,
being able to handle a vehicle that hangs the back end out a bit going around / exiting corners under power.

On an unloaded pick-up truck, a stiff rear sway bar makes the back end 'loose' (less body roll) and more prone to slide.
Likely true, but I fail to see how this applies to trucks with 18" wheels versus those with 20" and how theoretically it could cause a problem with the axle or tires.

Perhaps Ford determines trucks with 18" wheel combo will have a taller / flexier sidewall and
could benefit more from a rear swaybar than ones having lower profile tires on 20" wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mlatour
Perhaps Ford determines trucks with 18" wheel combo will have a taller / flexier sidewall and
could benefit more from a rear swaybar than ones having lower profile tires on 20" wheels.
Perhaps, since my spare is an 18" (but different aspect ratio), I can see that the 18" definitely has more sidewall flex than the 20". But no matter, it is not like I will be drifting my Powerstroke.
crackmeup2.gif
11.gif

Nice. A sharp gent like bdcardinal scouring the parts listings and sourcing OE special hardware is a hoot.
I've long mixed and matched 'heavy-duty, 'high-performance,' 'special service,' 'special order' and optional goodies from the factory parts bins.
Seasoned to taste and served accordingly.
smile.gif

GM, Ford, Mazde, BMW, Mercedes-Benz/AMG and others all have some swell OE upgrades available for enthusiasts.
Pricing on your "stock" rear anti-roll bar and its mounting hardware is quite competitive with the aftermarket, too! Well done, sir.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Likely true, but I fail to see how this applies to trucks with 18" wheels versus those with 20" and how theoretically it could cause a problem with the axle or tires.

I would bet Colt nailed it...
Quote:
Probably some NVH thing with the small sidewalls (relative) to the larger sidewall with smaller wheels.

Probably with the sway bar on certain configurations, NVH crosses some kind of threshold they don't want to cross. They think there would be more complaints with it than without. Probably not a bad call overall, but owners who want tighter handling are left piecing it together or going aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I wonder if the addition of the anti-sway bar has any effect on the traction control or stability control systems.
All I can say are positive things about it. The truck now stays planted in the curves and handles crisply without being overly stiff. I have not encountered any issues.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I would bet Colt nailed it...
Quote:
Probably some NVH thing with the small sidewalls (relative) to the larger sidewall with smaller wheels.

Probably with the sway bar on certain configurations, NVH crosses some kind of threshold they don't want to cross. They think there would be more complaints with it than without. Probably not a bad call overall, but owners who want tighter handling are left piecing it together or going aftermarket.

Yup. 95% of Super Duty owners wouldn't notice the difference with the bar added onto the 20" wheel package. 1% would like the change and 4% would complain. They kinda have to design these things for the lowest common denominator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Yup. 95% of Super Duty owners wouldn't notice the difference with the bar added onto the 20" wheel package. 1% would like the change and 4% would complain. They kinda have to design these things for the lowest common denominator.
Ummm...yes you would. I have 20" wheels and when cornering there is a huge difference in the before and after.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Did you buy the parts from the local Ford dealer, or through an online discount source? Also, where did you get the Mag Hytec?
I bought them online (the parts list is in my OP). If you do not have a source, I would PM BDCardinal--he can give you some great service and pricing. I bought the Mag Hytec from eBay from Wicked Wolf RC. He had the best prices and had great service and fast shipping.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
You sure aren't playing around getting this truck just right.
Thanks! The LED bed kit and ISS Pro gauges will be installed next. I have two Derale remote filter kits to install as well (PS and Transmission).

Ummm...yes you would. I have 20" wheels and when cornering there is a huge difference in the before and after.

You would, and I would, but you have to remember the general public can drive around with tires 20psi low and don't notice the terrible handling.

You would, and I would, but you have to remember the general public can drive around with tires 20psi low and don't notice the terrible handling.
Blasphemy! Albeit fairly accurate.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back