Rolex 24 at Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else watching? The DeltaWing accident was completely avoidable on a few levels. The Ford GTs are having some issues, but that is to be expected in their first outing.

Was watching the Warriors/Sixers game but its over now so just switched over to FS1. Thanks for the reminder.

The stalled car would not start after several attempts. Instead of a corner yellow there should have been a full course caution. That would have prevented the crash by the Delta Wing. However, his crew chief chewed him out pretty good because he had radioed that there was a car stalled mid corner and he still rear ended it.

I am surprised that they don't use spotters like in NASCAR and IndyCar. Whatever it would cost to pay to have an extra 3 people on the payroll per team would be more than made up for with the lack of vehicle damage.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I am surprised that they don't use spotters like in NASCAR and IndyCar. Whatever it would cost to pay to have an extra 3 people on the payroll per team would be more than made up for with the lack of vehicle damage.
I don't think has anything to do with cost has to do with the roots and history of sports car racing I'm for one am glad they don't it would ruin the racing.

Maybe there should be a race official over-ride on the radio where they inform everyone at the same time that there is a hazard. I know they can do it in IndyCar as I have heard it when at Fontana.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Dave,

I agree. This style racing should be a far away from NASCAR rules.

I like the way you think.

Watching some, when I'm not being pestered, and listening on SiriusXM when I am being pestered.
wink.gif

Listened to the Corvette in-car streaming audio overnight.

No commentary just that thumping LS V8 circulating 'round and around. I'm weird like that but do it every year.

Glorious for gearheads.

Originally Posted By: splinter

No commentary just that thumping LS V8 circulating 'round and around. I'm weird like that but do it every year.

Glorious for gearheads.

Onboard audio is the best
smile.gif
What a finish in the GTD and GTLM classes, too! Nice to see a P2 car win overall also; I believe this is the first time a non-Daytona Prototype car has won that class in this race.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

Glorious for gearheads.

smile.gif
What a finish in the GTD and GTLM classes, too! Nice to see a P2 car win overall also; I believe this is the first time a non-Daytona Prototype car has won that class in this race.

Well-earned congrats to Extreme Speed Motorsports and Honda Performance Development on the win. Similar to what the commentators said, keep an eye on Pipo Derani wherever he goes in the future (hopefully with ESM for a while). I was also glad to see a P2 win and show more of their potential when they're less hampered by a BOP that used to clearly favor the good 'ol boys and their tube frame dinosaurs.

Also a great race in GTLM. I confess I was hoping the 3 would pull it out but incredible racing nonetheless.

All-in-all great racing in 3/4 classes and rules & BOP are making more sense (still some work to do). The series may finally be starting to get it together and put itself in a position to rebuild and become a admirable representation of sports car racing in the US.

I'm optimistic, too. They must upgrade their website, though. Trying to figure out which drivers are on the same team, aside from the one actually driving the car, was problematic, particularly in comparison to the WEC site. Fix up live timing and some of this other data, and that's a good start.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Originally Posted By: Klutch9

Glorious for gearheads.

smile.gif

Well-earned congrats to Extreme Speed Motorsports and Honda Performance Development on the win. Similar to what the commentators said, keep an eye on Pipo Derani wherever he goes in the future (hopefully with ESM for a while). I was also glad to see a P2 win and show more of their potential when they're less hampered by a BOP that used to clearly favor the good 'ol boys and their tube frame dinosaurs.

Also a great race in GTLM. I confess I was hoping the 3 would pull it out but incredible racing nonetheless.

All-in-all great racing in 3/4 classes and rules & BOP are making more sense (still some work to do). The series may finally be starting to get it together and put itself in a position to rebuild and become a admirable representation of sports car racing in the US.

BOP, please elaborate.
21.gif

Glorious for gearheads.

Yes, I could only wish for one of those Katech built, ITB equipped, MULTI stage dry sumped, C7R engines in anything I'd ever own.
frown.gif

I am told that they would make upwards of 950 crank hp in totally unrestricted form.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
BOP, please elaborate.
21.gif

BOP = Balance of Performance

IMSA will change the size of the air inlet restrictors and change body modifications to vehicles based on their performance in comparison to other makes. One of the times they make changes is after the "Roar Before the 24" so everyone sandbags. After the 24HR race they will change what is allowed on certain cars to make sure it is a more even racing experience.

For example, don't be surprised if the Corvette C7-Rs get a smaller engine air inlet since they threw all their cards on the table at the end of the 24.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Glorious for gearheads.

Yes, I could only wish for one of those Katech built, ITB equipped, MULTI stage dry sumped, C7R engines in anything I'd ever own.
frown.gif

I am told that they would make upwards of 950 crank hp in totally unrestricted form.
eek.gif

The C7R's are running 5.5L engines, so I would be very surprised if they could do over 800HP, and then I would doubt they could last 24 hours. Sports car sanctioning bodies all around the world seem intent on limiting every race car to 600-ish HP. I hate air restrictors.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The C7R's are running 5.5L engines, so I would be very surprised if they could do over 800HP, and then I would doubt they could last 24 hours. Sports car sanctioning bodies all around the world seem intent on limiting every race car to 600-ish HP. I hate air restrictors.

Ya they have been running the 5.5L since 2010 in the C6.R.

I will say the new GT3 formula makes for awesome racing. I really enjoy watching the Blancpain series. There are 22 GT3 spec cars entered in the Bathurst 12hr this weekend from 7 different makes not including the 7 Porsche Cup GT3 entries in their own class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back