Taurus Judge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here own a Taurus Judge? If so, which particular model, and what do you think of it?

I woldn't use one for SD, but I've been thinking of getting one as a plinker. Though .410 isn't exactly cheap, anymore.

Good snake gun....but for self defense it is really a gimmick as the 410 is not exactly known as a "man stopper". So if you get it for self defense, I would only be loading the 45 in it.

S&W makes a version called the governor. I think with theirs you can also shoot 45acp in moonclips, which is what I would do.

We owned a Taurus Judge Public Defender (stainless steel) when we lived in North Carolina. Put 1000+ rounds of .410 and 1000+ rounds of 45 through it. Below are my thoughts...

-Reliable and never malfunctioned with all brands of ammo we fired
-Used Frog Lube to keep it clean and lubricated
-Small bolts on the pistol required tightening every 100+ rounds, must be due to the power of this pistol
-Fired accurately from 10-15 feet with Defender PDX1 ammo and most others
-The factory grip is soft and comfortable in the hand, although my pinky would hang off a bit
-Thought we'd like to sights since they were red up front however no real added value over basic white sights to me
-When it was in my hand, here at home, I felt safe and knew it would protect my family, I was 10 times tougher when it was loaded 😉
-Purchase one, it sure is FUN!

Last edited:
No Judge, but I picked up this Bond Arms .410 / .45 Colt Derringer last year. Nice, well made little piece. No defense weapon, but it's a lot of fun to play with. Dozens of guns are better for self defense.

I would guess that anyone hit dead center at close range with a 410 would be distracted enough to not be much of a threat.

Such a shot would give you a moment to think about what you needed to do, next.

I'm not sure that any handgun caliber that would be reasonable to carry can be depended on to be a man stopper often enough to deserve the title.

A 410 in the chest is certainly better than yelling, "Stop that, this is a designated gun free zone. You are being a very bad person!".

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I would guess that anyone hit dead center at close range with a 410 would be distracted enough to not be much of a threat.

Such a shot would give you a moment to think about what you needed to do, next.

I'm not sure that any handgun caliber that would be reasonable to carry can be depended on to be a man stopper often enough to deserve the title.

A 410 in the chest is certainly better than yelling, "Stop that, this is a designated gun free zone. You are being a very bad person!".

But a 45LC out of the same gun will work better. So why not just get a 45 wheel gun that is more compact if you are using it for self defense? As I said, good snake gun....gimmick self defense gun.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-41-the-taurus-judge-vs-the-box-o-truth/

I know a guy with one and have hefted it personally, I like it.

Has trouble hitting rabbits with it (if he were so inclined) as the pattern is pretty open.

Would live to have one on my side table, but this is Oz, and that's not gonna happen.

Illegal in California
frown.gif

I like being at the range when someone's been shooting 45 Colt out of one as it often means a lot of free brass left on the floor for me.

I'd call it as much a gimmick as anything. 410 is wimpy and patterns poorly out of a barrel that short(plus the fact that the rifling introduces a sort of "donut" to the pattern). The freebore is FAR too long to shoot 45 Colt accurately. The S&W Governor is even worse in this department when shooting 45ACP, as the freebore is even longer. My Ruger Blackhawk does a beautiful job of shooting both 45ACP and 45 Colt, but uses a separate cylinder for each and consequently can correctly cut the cylinder throat and minimize the amount of "rattling" the bullet does.

As said, if you want a 45 caliber revolver there are better options. The S&W 25 comes in either 45 ACP or 45 Colt and it's not much larger than the Judge/Governor.

I have a Raging Judge Ultra Lite. 7 rounds. I bought it from a friend with a TON of Federal Premium .410 SD and .45LC ammo. It was too good of deal to pass up. The Federal .410 self defense rounds seem to do a lot of damage to ballistic gel.

I didn't buy it for self defense but I like the idea of more forgiving accuracy afforded. When I'm away I'd rather my girlfriend pick this up in the middle of the night than any pistol or revolver.

How about just getting a Ruger Blackhawk or RedHawk in 45 Colt? You can always use some snake shot of desired.

I'm not a big fan if the 'Judge', seems heavy for what it is.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
How about just getting a Ruger Blackhawk or RedHawk in 45 Colt? You can always use some snake shot of desired.

I'm not a big fan if the 'Judge', seems heavy for what it is.

I like the scandium alloy frame 7 shot version I have, 22oz.

513ULB3_1.jpg

You want your girlfriend to pick up a 22oz pistol with .410 in it??

How well has she managed recoil with that load at the range?

Please tell me that she's practiced with this before...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You want your girlfriend to pick up a 22oz pistol with .410 in it??

How well has she managed recoil with that load at the range?

Please tell me that she's practiced with this before...

Unfortunately she has not fired it yet, have you fired one?

I had not considered that it would be too much guy because she has handled powerful rounds pretty well and I found the recoil very manageable with the .410 handgun ammo. Like I said, I didn't buy it for self defense. (I have not left it out for that.) But for someone not likely to be a great shot in a worst case scenario I think it offers a benefit. Though the Bill Burr .22 pistol theory might be better, small rounds, easy to shoot accurately, won't blind and deafen you.

Remember the .410 shotshell is a very low pressure round. The recoil in a pistol, especially a very short barreled one, isn't that bad. Shotgun ammunition is meant to be fired in a shotgun, not a handgun. Powder consumption is very incomplete when they are fired out of a 2" or 3" barrel.

Stiff .45 Colt loads deliver much more recoil in my Bond Arms derringer, than any of the .410 loads do. Yes, they now make handgun specific shotshell loads for these little pistols, but even those do not consume all of the powder they're loaded with.

It's much the same with my Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 when compared to the same gun in .500 S&W Magnum. The recoil of the .45-70 with 405 grain factory rifle loads is nowhere near what the .500 S&W is. You will always get incomplete powder consumption when you fire these type of rifle and shotgun loads in handguns.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Remember the .410 shotshell is a very low pressure round. The recoil in a pistol, especially a very short barreled one, isn't that bad. Shotgun ammunition is meant to be fired in a shotgun, not a handgun. Powder consumption is very incomplete when they are fired out of a 2" or 3" barrel.

Stiff .45 Colt loads deliver much more recoil in my Bond Arms derringer, than any of the .410 loads do. Yes, they now make handgun specific shotshell loads for these little pistols, but even those do not consume all of the powder they're loaded with.

It's much the same with my Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 when compared to the same gun in .500 S&W Magnum. The recoil of the .45-70 with 405 grain factory rifle loads is nowhere near what the .500 S&W is. You will always get incomplete powder consumption when you fire these type of rifle and shotgun loads in handguns.

Just food for thought, They actually make "pistol self defense" 410 shells, no doubt with faster powder and such to make it more suited to the barrel size of a Judge. No snubbie is going to be perfectly efficient with powder though.

10-15 years ago people would have laughed you out of the building for talking about self defense and .410s. Someone comes out with a gimmick gun and all of the sudden .410, out of a very short barrel, is the hammer of Thor.

I just don't like the idea of firing multiple pellets in my home. Too much chance of stray shot going where you don't intend it. Plus for my spouse I am more inclined to get a smaller caliber that she can handle and won't flinch when using. A 9mm is about the biggest load she feels comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back