Motorcraft FL820S cut open Date code: 904121217

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading many posts on Purolator oil filters that tear, I decided to buy an oil filter cutter and check my favorite oil filter. I had this one in the oil drain pan checking to see how long the anti drain back valve would hold oil. So it was a good one to cut open.

2zps8xy.jpg

Motorcraft FL820S Date code: 904121217

2aeuxu.jpg

Dome end tear.

k9tnpz.jpg

Thread end tear.

2z8ybty.jpg

Motorcraft has changed the number of inlet holes leading to the bypass valve 4 were used in this date code.

This filter is the one that caused me to start cutting all my filters to see what is going on. I know this is a popular filter but, it did tear on a 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 using Mobile M1 5W30 oil.

Last edited:
Thanks Motorcraft! Just makes me like to continue using my FRAM Tough Guards. I'll be removing the MC-400S off my jeep ASAP

Don't worry. MC are specially designed to Ford spec which apparently includes a tearing spec... Most likely they tear just as much but people just didn't want to believe it because they are infatuated with them.

This is Motorcraft FL820S Date code: 906241527.

2nleo9f.jpg

Even pleat spacing on this side.

n3sx6x.jpg

Shows 8 inlet holes for the bypass valve.

15eh4cp.jpg

Uneven pleat spacing on either side of the media splice.

This filter was used for a clean up and only had 1000 miles on it.

The FL400S may work just fine in your Jeep. It is a different filter design and different application. Also, the design appears to be changing for the FL820S.

A picture is worth a 1000 words. The first one was from a longer oil change and I do not have the details. I just wanted to see how long the ADBV would hold oil. That is also why the old date code.

The next one up is a Firestone TF4651 that was run 3000 miles as part of the engine cleanup. In my view, even though it is an eCore, it beats the pants off the FL 820S.

Last edited:
This Firestone oil filter was used as part of an engine cleanup.

n4fgwg.jpg

Firestone TF4641 Date code: 092314ES

2i1ox0k.jpg

Champion Labs eCore base plate exterior.

sgu5nr.jpg

Champion Labs eCore base plate interior. All the holes seemed smooth enough for me. I think they were smoother than the Motorcraft holes. Outer ring of holes are primary inlet holes. the inner ring of holes are the anti drain back inlet holes.

35isw0w.jpg

Nitrile ADBV and relief valve all rolled into one. It was pliable and did not seem to cause the Ranger to have cold start issues. It is really hard to tell from a picture but all the pleats were very well secured to the fiber end cap.

fd9ax0.jpg

Here is the dome end end cap. All the pleats were well secured to the fiber end cap.

29c57o9.jpg

Nice and even pleat spacing with pleats well secured to the fiber end caps.

2z3t5x5.jpg

This was the worst pleat spacing I could find on this filter. About as perfect as you can get. Notice the media is useable from end to end as there is no phenolic.

I tried to get a shot of the inner core but the flash is offset too far. The core has 8 vertical spines vs the 4 vertical spines of the older eCores.

I plan to run other filters and cut and see.

I forgot to mention it, but the phenolic on some of the Motorcraft shots looked like it was separating from the metal end caps. Yet another place to bypass.

I have run 3 each Motorcraft FL 820S with short OCIs to clean up the engine so I do not think this is enough thermal and pressure cycles to create a tear. But when the pleats begin to collapse then the tear will likely follow at a later date.

I may just use up my remaining FL 820s on 3000 mile intervals and see.

Horrible pleat spacing on the FL-820S ... no surprise it tore.

Purolator's strategy is to sell of all the old white cans, instead of removing them and replacing it with all the new "red" paint classic at AAP, this is what the manager told me after he inquired AAP for me(this is what he claimed at least).

has Purolator acknowledged the tearing issue?

I think I will add a Fram Tough Guard to the mix of filters I would like to check out.

So far my stash has:
5 each Champion Labs PH820 - these are about 2 years old with the old eCore design.
4 each Wix 51372
3 each AC Delco PF1250 - one is the old design and two are new designs.
1 each STP S2 - new design.
2 each PL24651 - one has an old date code and one a new date code. It might be interesting just to cut these and see what Purolator has done or not done.
3 each FL820S - I may bin these after I see how well the PF1250 does.

Does anyone from Motorcraft monitor BITOG?

How long do you go on your oil changes?

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

Yes, it's call a whole new line of updated filters.

Some Motorcraft filters are better than others. Here is one I cut with over 7k miles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3913594/FL-400S_@_7253_miles#Post3913594

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

ZeeOSix,

For me it is trust but verify. Ronald Reagan.

A whole new line with super tiny oil holes on the center tube which means i will never use anything purolater until they make those restrictive little oil holes bigger. They can say what they want but im sticking with other filters that look like the oil can get through easily. And besides they played like they never heard of the tearing issues and it was all made up on the internet..

Sorry no fool here..

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Some Motorcraft filters are better than others. Here is one I cut with over 7k miles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3913594/FL-400S_@_7253_miles#Post3913594

I agree the reliability depends on filter design, manufacturing variability, the application, oil viscosity, change interval and driving conditions just to mention a few.

The 820s does not appear to have much design margin for Ford Ranger application.

Other designs may do better.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

ZeeOSix,

For me it is trust but verify. Ronald Reagan.

Of course ... I wasn't implying that they will now be the best thing around.

Many still have their doubts until they prove themselves again. Many don't like the fact that Purolator has now only given an efficiency percent number without a corresponding particle size, or a test spec reference. Any filter company can claim "99% efficiency" without saying at was particle size.

Top notch oil filter for $3.xx, too good to be true. I still have a few in stock, may be the last time I use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back