Aluminum body Ford PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't rust but I'd consider waiting a few years at minimum to see if any issues arise with the aluminum body. The frame is still steel but I don't think that has been too big an issue with rust. I'm considering one as a future purchase as they're the only maker with adaptive cruise and HID headlamps at this point.

In my opinion, no, doesn't matter. Frame and everything else is still... steel.

The only downside we have seen so far is body repair. A shop needs proper equipment for working on the aluminium body panels and the repair costs tend to be significantly higher.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The only downside we have seen so far is body repair. A shop needs proper equipment for working on the aluminium body panels and the repair costs tend to be significantly higher.

That's just people trying to rip you off. Why would it be any harder to bondo over aluminum?

Proper equipment? Please.

If I were a pickup guy, I'd be all over this. I wish they'd make the mustang all aluminum. Are you kidding me? Aluminum for the same price as steel. Its a gift.

Last edited:
I was given one of these brand new aluminum Ford trucks at work. This is by far the worst truck, I have ever driven. We always had Fords too. They are company trucks and are four door F150 with the 3.5 l engine. The transmission shifts nice, that's were it stops. The engine is way under powered, the gas tank is small to save weight no doubt. The truck is lightened 700 lb. But all the weight is pushed to the front and its like riding down the road on the head of a arrow. The rear end blows around at highway speeds. It also gets stuck everywhere. If it wasn't four wheel drive I could never leave the pavement. Mine just came back from Ford for a water leak in the cab at 11,000 miles. The steering is real jumpy. We got six of them and everyone hates them. One guy said his charging light comes on everyday. Takes it to Ford and they say no problem. This is a terrible truck. Nice interior comes standard with power everything and backup camera which I like. Rest of the truck, you couldn't give me one. I am probably going to request a 2012 with 3.7 and two door back, this truck is that bad.

Last edited:
When passing them walking around in parking lots I always marvel how the massive orange peel is acceptable for a lowly $32k XLT edition. I suppose that is what you get for $32k these days.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

That's just people trying to rip you off. Why would it be any harder to bondo over aluminum?

If I were a pickup guy, I'd be all over this. I wish they'd make the mustang all aluminum. Are you kidding me? Aluminum for the same price as steel. Its a gift.

LOLOLOL
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Pleeeeeeeeease buy an aluminum-intensive car and have it repaired by a shop that doesn't have an isolated aluminum repair area, a complete separate set of tools for working on aluminum panels, access to OEM workshop manuals, et cetera.

The manufacturer will probably fly in, pay you for a day's use of your car, and make a video to educate consumers on how a car can be destroyed by aluminum/steel cross-contamination and improper repair procedures.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
When passing them walking around in parking lots I always marvel how the massive orange peel is acceptable for a lowly $32k XLT edition. I suppose that is what you get for $32k these days.

I mentioned that a few months back. I noticed how lousy the paint work looked on quite a few of them while I was stopped at lights. I was a big Ford fan boy for years, but not for their newer offerings.
frown.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I was given one of these brand new aluminum Ford trucks at work. This is by far the worst truck, I have ever driven. We always had Fords too. They are company trucks and are four door F150 with the 3.5 l engine. The transmission shifts nice, that's were it stops. The engine is way under powered, the gas tank is small to save weight no doubt. The truck is lightened 700 lb. But all the weight is pushed to the front and its like riding down the road on the head of a arrow. The rear end blows around at highway speeds. It also gets stuck everywhere. If it wasn't four wheel drive I could never leave the pavement. Mine just came back from Ford for a water leak in the cab at 11,000 miles. The steering is real jumpy. We got six of them and everyone hates them. One guy said his charging light comes on everyday. Takes it to Ford and they say no problem. This is a terrible truck. Nice interior comes standard with power everything and backup camera which I like. Rest of the truck, you couldn't give me one. I am probably going to request a 2012 with 3.7 and two door back, this truck is that bad.

3.5L Ecoboost or 3.7L N/A? I haven't driven either, but I was under the impression that the 3.5 was "all that and then some", with massive power. The 3.7 though I could see being a bit underpowered, depending upon what one was coming from.

The 3.7 engine was replaced with a N/A 3.5 engine. So now IIRC you get either a twin turbo 3.5 or a N/A one. Both are direct injection where the 3.7 was port injection.

Last edited:
The company trucks come with the non-turbo 280+ HP engine but because Ford lightened the truck they claim a 10% power to weight increase which is bull. It's a dog with the non-turbo Turbo 3.5

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

LOLOLOL
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Pleeeeeeeeease buy an aluminum-intensive car and have it repaired by a shop that doesn't have an isolated aluminum repair area, a complete separate set of tools for working on aluminum panels, access to OEM workshop manuals, et cetera.

The manufacturer will probably fly in, pay you for a day's use of your car, and make a video to educate consumers on how a car can be destroyed by aluminum/steel cross-contamination and improper repair procedures.

Isolated aluminium repair area? Defecation is getting deep in here.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Reason why I drive a Ram 2500 HD.

If it were in the market for a PU I'd be driving a Ram.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

LOLOLOL
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Isolated aluminium repair area? Defecation is getting deep in here.

Its true. When these trucks first came out Ford had programs for body shops so their technicians could learn how to properly work with the aluminium panels. There are only two body shops in my area that will work on them, they were the same shops that worked on the Jaguars and Audis with Al body panels.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150730...steel-iihs-says

https://www.i-car.com/Home/Educational-P...raining-Program

Quote:
Beside costing more for customers paying out of pocket, higher repair costs could result in higher insurance premiums for the aluminum truck.

That sorta says it all.

I really like the look of the new aluminum F150, but the body panels are so wavy, it looks like a body-man with Parkinson's disease formed them. Horrible craftsmanship.

Also the repair cost on aluminum is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back