Psycho ex wife sent phishing email

Status
Not open for further replies.
My psycho ex wife sent a phishing email. Subject was "countdown". The body said GMAIL could not open this email and to go to this bogus website. I am assuming her computer got infected and sent out the email to every contact in her address book.

Not sure what to make of it.

While it's fun to bash the ex-wife it's just as likely someone has her e-mail and crafted an e-mail that looks like it's from her.

I get them all the time from:

"My MIL"
"My Daughter"
"Friends"

Once someone has an e-mail address, it's pretty trivial to send messages that look like they are from someone else.

Years ago, in our IT shop, we would spam each other by crafting messages from [email protected] or other such nonsense to needle one another.

So don't assume that just because a message says it's from a certain person that they sent it. Chances are it's either a virus as you indicated or someone else is infected or otherwise compromised and they are using that person's address book.

Since you're an IT professional, you probably know that emails such as that often have a spoofed sender. I recommend doing something extremely complicated in order to rectify the situation-press the delete button. Then you can get on and not obsess over your prior failed relationship.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Since you're an IT professional, you probably know that emails such as that often have a spoofed sender. I recommend doing something extremely complicated in order to rectify the situation-press the delete button. Then you can get on and not obsess over your prior failed relationship.

That's too simple. There's no drama in that.

It always the "crazy" ex wife's fault isn't is Donald
smile.gif

Just messing with you. I hope that she doesn't give you too much more of a hard time.

Glad to see you are back again. Without the anti gun stuff too. Not that I totally disagree with you on some of that. But that's a whole other long discussion.

Last edited:
Could come from anyone who had both e-mails in their address book.

She is one possible source. I doubt your addressbook and hers are the only two on the planet that contain both addresses.

But if it makes you feel better to blame her....

Originally Posted By: Donald
Well they would need my email along with hers. That info would most likely have come only from her computer.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Not nice to talk about an ex that. It takes two.

That being said she has a bot or virus likely intruding her account.

It only takes one with borderline personality disorder!!

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Yes, an IT professional, but my 40 years have all been on IBM mainframes. Thats what I am paid for. Knowledge about PCs or email has been picked up along the way.

I do not think it was spoofed. The headers looked proper. I think there is probably a virus on her computer that sent it out. Regardless she is responsible for it being sent.

Last edited:
I read a article that said Psycho women were the best in bed. So why are all of them Ex-wives? I love my psycho wife for 22 years. I never know who she is going to be or her opinion is going to change from day to day. Keeps the marriage interesting.

In the past I have gotten my e-mail taken over and gets strange messages sent from my e-mail to EVERYONE on my contact list. Changing my password seems to help. And, it wasn't me that sent ANY of it out.

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
In the past I have gotten my e-mail taken over and gets strange messages sent from my e-mail to EVERYONE on my contact list. Changing my password seems to help. And, it wasn't me that sent ANY of it out.

I think anyone with a hotmail or yahoo account has had that happen to them..

Not sure if they are better now but I had friends with strong passwords that got hacked somehow..
we are talking passwords like

haP1p3&J

so some exploit I'd imagine.

Originally Posted By: Donald

It only takes one with borderline personality disorder!!

Absolutely true - even readily admitted by the mental health profession.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I read a article that said Psycho women were the best in bed. So why are all of them Ex-wives? I love my psycho wife for 22 years. I never know who she is going to be or her opinion is going to change from day to day. Keeps the marriage interesting.

Psycho was a generic term for f--ing nuts. In this case borderline personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back