Shopping for an alarm clock, some use alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old GE alarm clock is about worn out.

Shopping around I found the Sangean CL-100 as a replacement.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QHX...pf_rd_i=desktop

However, I have heard of people using their cell phones as alarm clocks.

I tried that, and sometimes the alarm does not go off, it is not reliable, it's a older Tracfone Samsung Galaxy that does not keep time very well.

I have also watched videos on youtoob that people are actually using wrist watches as their alarms. Such as the Timex Ironman, using the multiple alarms as a snooze function.

That probably won't work, not loud enough and I'm the guy that hits snooze many times.

From a energy conserving standpoint, it would be great to use a cell phone or a wrist watch as an alarm clock. Seems wasteful to have another wall wart radio plugged in.

Would you recommend I purchase the Sangean, or get an unsubbed cell phone to use only for alarm, or what?

Last edited:
I would suggest a normal plug-in alarm clock. With other types of alarms you need to make sure its charged, etc.

I always wear a normal watch, but if I need to get up I set an old fashioned alarm clock.

I use my phone as my primary and also set my plug in alarm clock everynight as a backup incase I snooze the phone. $10 at target and also has a radio built in.

Get yourself a wind-up alarm clock with no snooze button. No electricity needed, and no snooze button to hit. When it goes off, simply get out of bed and turn it off. Then go to bed early enough so that you don't need the alarm clock to wake up at a reasonable time.

I have a Sangean RCR 22 which uses time information from the atomic clock controlled radio system run by the National Bureau of Standards. Those signals are VERY accurate. It resets itself after power failures and changes between ST and DST. The radio part of the unit sounds good and hears AM and FM well. It decodes stereo for use with headphones. I got mine from Amazon.

Cell phone with the "alarm clock plus" app set to snooze for 10 minute intervals. It tells you what time it is.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Cell phone with the "alarm clock plus" app set to snooze for 10 minute intervals. It tells you what time it is.

Yup. That's a great app. I use it whenever I travel for business, and even when at home.

As for a traditional nightstand alarm clock, I have this one: http://amzn.com/B003WGRUQQ , although I mainly use it just to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night. It projects the time on the ceiling or wall, so you don't have to press anything to see it, and the lettering is pretty large and easy to see, even if you're not completely awake.

My primary alarm is a radio with alarm. I have several, but currently using the Sangean PR-D7 as the alarm starts out so low in volume and increases, I catch it before it gets up in volume enough to wake the wife. They call it something like humane wake system Using Eneloop AA batteries.
Then I also have a Seiko Bedside alarm clock set about 10 minutes later and to loud, but I always get to it before the alarm goes off. It's three AA batteries easily lasts a year. It has auto faceplate LED that lights only when it gets dark (photo eye) but I turn that feature off which should increase battery time. The faceplate lighting color lets one know if the alarm is on or off because it's one color when enabled (on), another color if disabled (off). Plus the hands are silent sweep (no ticking).

Go simple. An alarm clock radio with preset stations?....separate AC adapter?....price tag over $50?

At that size (the radio in the ad you linked to) the radio will not sound good at all so just go for an alarm clock.

If you want, I'll sell you one I have which does include a radio but also has weather bands (you select one of seven) so you can awaken to weather service reports, any commercial station or just a buzzer.

It's old, it works just fine and you can have it for $5 + postage. I'd deliver it myself but Illinois is a little too far from Poughkeepsie, NY.

Originally Posted By: Doog

I use this app too, it works great. You can also set up the feature tbat makes you answer a math problem to shut off the alarm.

I also set my regular plug in alarm clock.

Just pick out a clock or clock radio with features you like.
I have used a Sony dual alarm radio with an I-pod dock for several years. Picked it up for $39. refurbished. With 99+% having a battery backup, electric is not a big deal.
Use it with my I-pod as it has great sound and an advantage of it was that I could use it to recharge my 4S phone.
Lost that advantage last week though, when my 4S died and Mrs. Tdbo and I upgraded to the 6.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Go simple. An alarm clock radio with preset stations?....separate AC adapter?....price tag over $50?

At that size (the radio in the ad you linked to) the radio will not sound good at all so just go for an alarm clock.

This x1000. Big lots has them for $8, at least in back to school shopping time. Give it "one job" and it'll be more reliable.

I worked with a guy who was supposed to be there an hour before me. I show up, place is deserted. He uses his cell phone for an alarm, and also his phone. I call him, he doesn't answer. Too much riding on one device.

Turns out his phone was lost/ misplaced/ not charged/ no service/ some loser excuse.

Put phone in airplane mode so as not to radiate your sleepy time brain waves and then use its built in alarm clock feature. My cheapo Samsung android phone has a factory loaded alarm with snooze loaded.
banana2.gif

I have a cheapo LCD alarm clock, had it for over sixteen years now. Change the 357 battery every few years, when the display gets dim and I start to not hear the alarm as well as I used. That works for me. Always in the same spot by my bed.

Wifey uses her iPod for an alarm. But even if that were to die the noise the kids make when they get up would be sufficient.

We also have one of those affairs which shines the time and indoor/outdoor temp on the ceiling. Big letters so I can read them w/o glasses. But we don't use the alarm on it--had one given to us, started liking it, replaced it when it died.

Luckily for me I either wake up before the alarm, and am good for the day; or I fall back asleep for 15 and then get up with a minor delay. Which I figure I "needed" and just live with it. Never gave into the snooze feature, seemed like a bad habit--and talking with some people it does not appeal to me. But different strokes for different folks--not everyone can roll out of bed, just like not everyone can switch off at night.

Sangean clocks are counterintuitive. By the time you get that thing programed, it will be time to get up and go to work.

I like a simple alarm clock with a big dimmable display. If I wake up throughout the night, I want to be able to easily see the time so I know if I should get up or roll over for a few more ZZZs.

Look at LL Bean...

I have had their previous version of battery powered alarm clock,
in a pretty purple color,
for over a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back