How to clean inside rear window ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can clean inside of side windows and windshield very well with either Windex or Simple Green.

But I couldn't clean inside of rear window, it looks very cloudy and driving away from the sun before sunset I couldn't see anything from the rear window.

How do you clean inside of the rear window without scratching the defroster ? Which chemical do you use ?

TIA

Get some Great Value natural glass and window cleaner. My wife got it at Wal-Mart and I can't believe how good it works.

The "secret ingredient" of household/auto cleansing is AMMONIA.

There's a drip of it in window cleaners (which soon evaporates as ammonia is a gas).

Go 25% ammonia to 75% water and wipe gently inline with the defrosters.

Someone may have "glommed on" a layer of some fog-proofing product or some such.

You gotta be able to get it clean.

Originally Posted By: Kira
The "secret ingredient" of household/auto cleansing is AMMONIA.

Unless you have window tint, in which case ammonia may be a bad idea.

No, the S2000 windows weren't tinted, just plain OEM windows.

Okay, so I will try Ammonia(need to get some, where can I find it, Home Depot ?).

If Ammonia is hard to find, I will try Great Value natural glass and window cleaner from WM and if it didn't work then Armor All glass wipes.

I didn't clean the S2000 rear window since new, I just tried to clean it few months ago for the first time, because of some rain we had in So Cal.

I like to make my last step of window cleaning be generously spraying the window with distilled water and catching the water at the bottom with a towel. I don't wipe the window dry.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I can clean inside of side windows and windshield very well with either Windex or Simple Green.

But I couldn't clean inside of rear window, it looks very cloudy and driving away from the sun before sunset I couldn't see anything from the rear window.

How do you clean inside of the rear window without scratching the defroster ? Which chemical do you use ?

TIA

I use the same stuff that's used on the other windows, and wipe/dry in the same direction that the defroster runs.

Smartypants answer: on your knees in the back seat

Ammonia is available everywhere... Walmart, Home Depot, Target, CVS, grocery stores, $1 stores

But I found that very warm water and a paper towel works just as well, without the fumes

Last edited:
Invisible Glass by Stoner is good stuff. You'll probably have to spray and wipe it off at least 2-3x to get it clean enough to be happy. Use clean microfibers or I've had good luck with the blue shop towels on a roll... Don't expect it to be fully clean after the first cleaning if it's been a while. The film of residue will lessen more after each cleaning. And I find it easiest to was up the towel and use he back of my hand to press it against the glass as I clean. Same for the bottom area of the windshield.

Yeah any of the aerosol foams work good. I spray them on newspaper outside of the car,to prevent it from getting all over, then wipe sideways in line with the defroster.

Final polish with MF.

Thanks guys.

I do have few microfiber towels to use specifically to clean inside windows and windshield.

Yes, I did use the back of my hands(left and right hand) to clean the rear window and bottom of he windshield.

Yes, I was on my knees on the back seat to clean the rear window, the rear window of S2000 is very small but the high back seat and rollover protection hoop blocks most access to the rear window, that is one of the reasons I didn't clean it for more than 10 years.

I probably will use few ounce of denatured alcohol with some distilled water to clean the rear window this weekend.

Invisible Glass makes a tool to reach hard to get to glass. Go over it twice and use the glass cleaner sparingly. I'm a fan of Sprayway glass cleaner but it splatters a lot so its not great for inside so invisible glass is my go to interior good cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back