Hendrick NASCAR engine info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Agreed...but I think it's the only way to get the heat they need to out of the small circulating volume that they quoted.

Small volume? 70 gal/min is more than a gallon a second. That's a HUGE amount of coolant.

Cup engines have a fairly small amount of water/Water Wetter they carry. NASCAR regulates coolant volume along with pressure. When the Ford FR9 was introduced Ford cars were able to tandem draft for more laps before pushing water than other makes. Ford was running an insanely high pressure cap, part of the FR9 design, and were running a lot more coolant than the other manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: code5coupe
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Agreed...but I think it's the only way to get the heat they need to out of the small circulating volume that they quoted.

Small volume? 70 gal/min is more than a gallon a second. That's a HUGE amount of coolant.

go back and reread all that I posted/linked...

* passenger cars move 2 litres per minute per KW of output.
* modern designs are reducing that, and the advanced designs have dropped that to 1 litre.

a 500KW (625hp roughly) engine would therefore be shifting 500L/min with the advanced emergent technology passenger car systems, which rely on nucleate boiling to get the job done.

70 gallons per minute is 265 litres per minute, which is around half of what the advanced/emergent pasenger vehicles are doing.

Thus my comment on the incredibly small circulating volume...

If they were 10% down, I'd be impressed, but HALF means that they are doing something amazing compared to your and my car.

edit...and it's more like 1/4 of what's being circulated in your and my car.

Last edited:
Remember these engines have nothing in common with the engines in our vehicles.

Originally Posted By: CT8

I'm having trouble seeing your point. They have no pistons or rings? Crankshaft? Camshaft? Not oil lubricated or water cooled?

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner

I'm having trouble seeing your point. They have no pistons or rings? Crankshaft? Camshaft? Not oil lubricated or water cooled?

I think what he means is Ford is no longer using a Windsor block and the Chevrolet engine is no longer based on a Gen 1 small block.

The Ford FR9 for example has a water manifold running under the intake trumpets, I have not seen that on a production engine since I think it was a Studebaker R1/2/3. All these engines run needle bearings for cam bearings also, never seen on a large scale production block that I know of.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner

Brilliant !!!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Cup engines have a fairly small amount of water/Water Wetter they carry. NASCAR regulates coolant volume along with pressure. When the Ford FR9 was introduced Ford cars were able to tandem draft for more laps before pushing water than other makes. Ford was running an insanely high pressure cap, part of the FR9 design, and were running a lot more coolant than the other manufacturers.

WHAT? They even regulate the amount of pressure and volume an engine's cooling system can have? Jesus... is there anything these &^^%$#%^& don't regulate? I suppose they spec driver weight and height too???

Originally Posted By: billt460
Ford was running an insanely high pressure cap.

What exactly is "insanely high"?

They were saying upwards of 45psi on the broadcasts back then.

NASCAR regulates it to keep one manufacturer from having an unfair advantage. I would really love to get my hands on a NASCAR rule book, but they are kept fairly secret.

Also know that they will tape off the radiator opening in order to get more front downforce. It is a art trying to get the right balance between the amount of tape and engine temp. For qualifying runs it isn't uncommon to completely tape off the opening.

Secret rules???

NASCAR does not publish the rule book. You have to work in the industry to have access to it.

Versus the FIA alternative, where you can the get F1 rulebook, but you have to be a lawyer or a lunatic to understand it?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Secret rules???

NASCAR does not publish the rule book. You have to work in the industry to have access to it.

Versus the FIA alternative, where you can the get F1 rulebook, but you have to be a lawyer or a lunatic to understand it?
wink.gif

Exactly. From what I have been told with talking with a Cup team owner, he came into my work for a part, the NASCAR rule book is very confusing and after reading parts you have to sit and just stare off into the distance for a while.

Hmmm...point number 5 and point 14 have me scratching my head. A dyno measures torque, not horsepower. Horsepower is a mathematical equation - SAE horsepower is (torque X RPM)/5252.
The crankshaft doesn't move the connecting rods and pistons up and down - it's actually the opposite.
Mistakes like these make me think this is PR written by a journalist with no real experience with engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back