19k mile engine. Full of sludge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I swapped out my jeep 4.0 for a rebuilt engine 19k miles ago and have been running delo xle synblend 10w-30 with 5k OCI since I drained the break in oil after the first 500 miles. Anyone know what would cause the sludge to buildup so fast? Is there any way I can flush the engine?
image.jpg

image.jpg

How about a coolant leak. That first picture has the characteristic lighter brown color of an oil that is contaminated with coolant. If you've done what you said with oil changes, it's not the oil.

What prompted you to open the engine and look? The exterior surfaces of the head shown in the picture sure look filthy for 19K.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Would they have sold you an engine from another 2000/2001 that wasn't actually rebuilt? Or reused a known-bad head?

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Would they have sold you an engine from another 2000/2001 that wasn't actually rebuilt? Or reused a known-bad head?

I thought most of them used the newer TUPY head that doesn't crack?

The TUPY head is still an 0331, but yeah, it's updated and doesn't crack. I'd hope a rebuilt engine would be using the updated version of the head.

definitely coolant, and even a small% will totally destroy your engine bearings as well.

My guess.
No need to fix that coolant leak you need another engine.
was there a warranty on your rebuilt engine?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Add me to the coolant leak list.

+1. Its toast. Even under warranty expect a small claims court battle. Go after them for labor to swap it out again also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back