New DeLoreans soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe soon.

Quote:

Ten years later, Stephen Wynne, a Texas mechanic, established his own company under the DeLorean Motor name. Wynne's company refurbishes some of the 9,000 DMC-12 models sold during the original company's brief run.

But a recent change passed by Congress will allow the Humble, Texas-based company to make new DeLoreans for the first time in 34 years.

The legislation enables low-volume manufacturers to produce replicas of older cars without conforming to all safety requirements that apply to conventional automakers.

“It’s a game-changer for us. We’ve been wanting this to happen,” Wynne told KPRC-TV in Houston.

Wynne estimates that his current inventory of parts could allow the company to make about 300 new DeLoreans.

The new models are expected to cost nearly $100,000 and go on sale early next year.

Quote:

The legislation enables low-volume manufacturers to produce replicas of older cars without conforming to all safety requirements that apply to conventional automakers.

[/quote]

I wonder if this will open the door for the manufacturer of other replica cars?

Leaving some safety equipment off will make some BITOG members very happy.

And yes, I have read where since the law is changed there is a company considering making replicas of '65 Mustangs as well.

They already are making retro Mustangs and Broncos using reproduction body parts/shells and more modern powertrains.ICON I believe is the brand.

They've been duplicating Shelby Cobras under those laws since about forever. Don't see why this should be any different.
wink.gif

Why not buy a low mileage original for 1/3 the price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-stainless-steal-/281920322182?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41a3c2ba86:g:gXAAAOSwZG9WhakY&item=281920322182

if they build 300~, thats a pittance 30 million gross, somewhat pathetic but okay.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Why not buy a low mileage original for 1/3 the price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-stainless-steal-/281920322182?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41a3c2ba86:g:gXAAAOSwZG9WhakY&item=281920322182

Because then, you are dealing with an "uncorrected" DeLorean with that boat anchor PRV V6 and pathetic transaxle.

Fun fact: the dome light in these things are the exact same things that are in the Jeep Comanche. These are hard to find and very expensive when in good shape.

I wonder if a more "comparable to OEM" model will hit the market soon.

I always thought it strange that in the U.S. (of all places)
than you can't buy or manufacture any car you darn well like providing it doesn't pose a hazard to anyone else.

You can buy and ride a motorcycle that offeres no protection whatsoever. it might aslo be capable of (to my mind) outrageous performance, on two wheels. But if it has 4 wheels, even if by design it is intended to be slow urban transport, the nanny state says it MUST be loaded with expensive, heavy features to provide a measure of safety, weather you want it or not.
33.gif

It is stupid. Laws allow to ride a motorcycle with no helmet so long as you have appropriate health insurance. You can fling your naked body down the highway at 65-80 mph legally, but get in a car, and you have to have a laundry list of safety gear. Love it.

You can even ride with 3 wheels and still get away with nothing.

Add the 4th? Sorry, time to suit up with the entire safety catalog.

So how many people are going to buy this car just because of the name? In other words, if it had a totally different name, would you buy it? I doubt it.
Reminds me of the "Indian" motorcycle name. The company goes under and several different groups of investers spend millions of dollars just for the right to call their motorcycle "Indian". Production of the bike goes under and they just resell the name again and again until it is finally bought by Polaris.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
So how many people are going to buy this car just because of the name? In other words, if it had a totally different name, would you buy it? I doubt it.
Reminds me of the "Indian" motorcycle name. The company goes under and several different groups of investers spend millions of dollars just for the right to call their motorcycle "Indian". Production of the bike goes under and they just resell the name again and again until it is finally bought by Polaris.

People bought Chrysler T&C vans when there actually was a Chrysler company, when Benz took over, when another company took over that, and when Fiat took over what was left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back