Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 NOACK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Pennzoil and asked for the NOACK of the 0w-20 since the one on the PQIA blog is for the one in the older bottle. Here is the response.

"Unfortunately, that detail is proprietary at this time. The only thing I can tell you now is that it is under the NOACK limits for API SN oil (@250 degrees C, max of 15% evaporation loss)."

Huh? seems like if it was good they would say so. I can not find the new PUP on the PQIA blog. I run a Elite Engineering catch can on my L83 so I not too concerned but it would be nice to know. I know the old stuff was really low.

Pp is just over 10, so pu , if to stay with trends should be 11-12. Good considering the weight.

And, some oils retain their levels better than others. That could make the starting point a bit misleading. There are a lot of details available about the ingredients but not much about how they are blended and that can make a difference.

The TBN on the older formulation of Delo 15w-40 in some of our equipment held up better than the recently "improved" version that had a higher starting value. This may have no relevance to your situation, it's just an observation on my part.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
Noack 12.5% http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Pennzoil-Ultra-Platinum-0W-20-SN-GF-5-en-TDS.pdf

Thanks! I wonder why they would not just tell me that? Maybe she did not know? I do not know much about the NOACK with 0w oil but that seems high. I get concerned becuase my catch can gets a lot of oil with the AC Delco blend but it has seemed to settled down now that I have 5,000 miles.

I had a 2014 Silverado that had a defective oil pump and I got to see what excessive blow by does. The engine had so much carbon the rings were froze in place and the intake valves would not fully seat. This was at only 8,043 miles. I knew at 2500 miles I had a problem. The EcoTec3 engines have a low pressure and high pressure oil pump. The o-ring for the high pressure side was folded over and when in high pressure the oil was dumped back into the oil pan. It goes to the high side around 3700 RPM's and it was a V6 and I towed a lot with it. The dealer was slow to listen to me

I did not know about the Dexos and 13%. I see the 10.1 is the PP but I was asking about the PUP, It seems it is a little over 12%

Last edited:
If Noack is of particular interest, Mobil1 AFE 0w-20 is 10.1% according to a recent PQIA test. Plus it's tons easier to find than PUP.

Originally Posted By: Danh
If Noack is of particular interest, Mobil1 AFE 0w-20 is 10.1% according to a recent PQIA test. Plus it's tons easier to find than PUP.

Tell me about it, I had some saved in my Wal-Mart cart and all of the sudden it was almost $3 dollars a quart cheaper. I had waited 2 weeks and got enough for 2 OCI's but not sure I will put forth that much effort again unless it turns out do amazing. I plan on doing a oil analysis on the AC- Delco I have now and the PUP when I use it. If my catch can amount increases I will not use it.

I am testing the AC-Delco I have now because I am suspect it is 5w-30 installed by my dealer. The work order says 5w-30 and my On Star service records show a oil change of 5w-30. They have a small section on the order that says 0w-20 but the part number is 5w-30. They say they just put down 5w-30 all the time. I dont know why when the 5.3 is the one they service the most. I want to be sure if Blackestone can tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back