Are you ready if the power grid gets hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so much for a hacked power grid but for an earthquake since we live 10 miles from the san Andreas. We have a room full of canned food, freezer of meats, couple of generators and 20 gallons of gas stored but I know 20 gallons wont last long so getting fuel will be a problem.

We also have 2500 gallons of water.

I'd think the big hard to replace transformers have some simple failsafe systems to keep them from being damaged from lightning or sudden drops in load?
I'd be more worried about power plants being hacked, as it would take months or years to repair those.
I can only really see suicidal terrorist groups going through with an attack like this though. What would N.Korea gain from it? They'd just get themselves wiped out.
It would be declaring total war without really knocking back the U.S. military capability, which for any single country would be a bad idea...

We could probably live for a year or two without power or extra fuel at our place. Feeding the dogs would be an issue as I don't think we could ramp up goat production to feed them while feeding ourselves. We already heat with wood and saving the propane for just running the kitchen stove, would make it last for years.
I wouldn't mind a couple weeks of no power anyways, as long as we stayed healthy it would be a good vacation.

If it actually got bad, and by bad I mean dangerous or we are at risk of not having the essentials, I'd get on NFAAS immediately, while on my way to base to await further direction.

My job is a pretty safe and secure location, too, and I'd tend to think they'd do something to take care of us...maybe not.

Besides that, I've got a few bags of chips, some nuts (residents not inclusive,) a BB gun and several knives, a small WEN generator with enough gas to get us through AT LEAST 4 hours of the rough stuff, batteries to keep us lit for a month, and some other canned and non-canned goods that I can't think of right now.

On a serious note, there are many events that we are at imminent risk of falling victim to, from a likelihood of 'very' to 'nil,' every single day. I could be wrong, and I know this isn't the forum to admit this, but I don't deem the risk high enough to stock up on anything.

Wait this guy is trying to sell a book!!! I did work for a major utility my entire career. They probably could dump individual plants and/or disrupt parts of the 3 grid systems. But I doubt short of nuclear war they could do a bad disruption.

Just another chicken Little Scenario to part people from their money to fix a non-existant problem.

Last edited:
I keep hearing ads for "survival food" which is supposed to be yummy after 20 years. THEN what do you do with it?

I have nothing. No water, no generator, no stored food. Short of a nuclear EMP attack, I dont see any of this doomsday garbage happening. And if by some chance it did, it would be so awful that life would never be "normal" again in my lifetime, probably not my kids for that matter. I wouldnt want to be here. And wont be.

No - all my generators were stolen when my car shop was cleaned out. All I have left are eco weenie solar panels and some inverters.

Thousands of gallons of gas though. And lead. So I guess I'll make out OK.

Originally Posted By: quint
I have nothing. No water, no generator, no stored food. Short of a nuclear EMP attack, I dont see any of this doomsday garbage happening. And if by some chance it did, it would be so awful that life would never be "normal" again in my lifetime, probably not my kids for that matter. I wouldnt want to be here. And wont be.

It would be good to have some sort of minimal back up supplies. The power going out for a week from a storm is a fairly common occurrence and planning for a few days of basics isn't going to cost very much if anything.

Unless you're a survivalist that already lives off the grid, no one is prepared.

It would be a nightmare at work too. Couple million gallons of cryogenic liquid hydrogen, liquid O2, etc.

Originally Posted By: Al
Wait this guy is trying to sell a book!!! I did work for a major utility my entire career. They probably could dump individual plants and/or disrupt parts of the 3 grid systems. But I doubt short of nuclear war they could do a bad disruption.

Just another chicken Little Scenario to part people from their money to fix a non-existant problem.

You must have missed the grid failure 12 years ago in the Northeast.....

If you can make it a month you'll be fine. 80% will be dead waiting on .gov to rescue them and everyone left can start rebuilding.

Not liable to happen but our RV is always ready. On-board generator with 40 gallon accessible tank always full. Water will be full during summer months with 50 gallons. Propane has at least 2 months of juice for the frig. We'd probably just go down to there farm.

The power grid is not sophisticated enough to be hacked. How do you hack springs and levers? Most of the computerized portions are islanded local networks.

You might be able to hack in and look at your neighbors bill...

Understand that in the USA the grid is designed and operated by some of the most conservative people on the planet. They're just not sure about this computer fad thing.

This whole thing is so crazy overblown. Even if everything went black at once, we'd be back up in a couple days. In reality, the system separates and creates islands of stable areas able to start picking load back up immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back