2011 GMC 5.3l M1 7,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 5W-30 seems fine in our fleet. Since we've had engines last 500k miles and routinely over 300k miles it is at least "acceptable"!

All of our 3500 service vans spec 30w, so do the older Silverados...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
M1 5W-30 seems fine in our fleet. Since we've had engines last 500k miles and routinely over 300k miles it is at least "acceptable"!

All of our 3500 service vans spec 30w, so do the older Silverados...

My buddys 2000 silverado has 540K on it ,he uses Oriellys dyno oil or what ever is on sale
10K miles per change

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Excel
Bought the truck new,been a DIY since day one w M! and WIX...figured Id check out what
the lab had to say.. The dummy computer says change oil at 10K,I been changing at 7K
and I am thinking I may need sooner changes ? Not sure. Lab seems optimistic

Message to Blackstone and UOAers:

Indicate time on sample. From date to sample date

if applicable add hour meter info.

agree with Merkava pick any other synthetic oil in 5-30 & you are as close as you can get to guaranteed to have a lower number iron & copper. Just because they claim they were first in synthetic, and are the most popular-----------does not = the best----------by far
As stated above, acceptable, at best
Steve

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those Iron and Copper numbers are too high to suit me. Being that the oil used was M1 5W-30, just about any other oil at all would get you better numbers. Blindfold yourself and throw a dart at the oil section. If the dart pierces a bottle of Chevron 10W-40, that would be perfect.
Not one person would ever tell me Chevron was better than M1 than you..Id love to see something of proof why you think this is a better product,so far all i see is a thicker viscosity and going from 30 to 40 weight should always offer a little better protection under load but not necessarily day to day driving
This is just another assumption by Merkava for two reasons--1) He does not like M1 and 2) He is always on a "thicker oil is better" campaign.
In many instances thicker oil is better.

Bought the truck new,been a DIY since day one w M! and WIX...figured Id check out what
the lab had to say.. The dummy computer says change oil at 10K,I been changing at 7K
and I am thinking I may need sooner changes ? Not sure. Lab seems optimistic

How long has the oil been in service?
how many miles are on the vehicle?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those Iron and Copper numbers are too high to suit me. Being that the oil used was M1 5W-30, just about any other oil at all would get you better numbers. Blindfold yourself and throw a dart at the oil section. If the dart pierces a bottle of Chevron 10W-40, that would be perfect.
Not one person would ever tell me Chevron was better than M1 than you..Id love to see something of proof why you think this is a better product,so far all i see is a thicker viscosity and going from 30 to 40 weight should always offer a little better protection under load but not necessarily day to day driving
This is just another assumption by Merkava for two reasons--1) He does not like M1 and 2) He is always on a "thicker oil is better" campaign.
In many instances thicker oil is better.
And in equally as many instances it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back