Motor oil and engine sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read in many forums about people who say the engine of their vehicles feels more "quiet" and "sound less" when using an specific motor oil brand.

I'm wondering if that's true and what chemical on some oils would "reduce" the sound of the engine.

Last edited:
Yes some do. Like if you use a conventional oil compared to a synthetic such as a Grp. 3 or above. That is because of the reduction of the friction coefficient.

Originally Posted By: LX289
Yes some do. Like if you use a conventional oil compared to a synthetic such as a Grp. 3 or above. That is because of the reduction of the friction coefficient.

I'd love to see a blinded test of this. I'll remain skeptical that engines can sound different based on different brands of oil.

Originally Posted By: Carguy21
I've read in many forums about people who say the engine of their vehicles feels more "quiet" and "sound less" when using an specific motor oil brand.

I'm wondering if that's true and what chemical on some oils would "reduce" the sound of the engine.

Oh Boy.....Not again.....Seems to bring the SOPUS nuts out in force!!

OK, I have an older Bronco 302 with 212,000 on the ODO. Passes smog and runs fine
smile.gif

Put in Rotella T-6 and it sounds like a can of marbles in oil at start-up. Put in Delo400 LE and it's stone quiet at start-up... Same weight oils. Same WIX filters.

Similar with my Saab 9-5 2.3 turbo. T-6 is almost a dry can of marbles, Delo400 is OK, but Delvac is quieter by far on start-up. Car has 133K on the ODO so it moved up to HDEO after 100K. Runs fine on HDEO, turbo is responsive even on cold oil so there is no downside. I do not baby this motor at all, it's in boost a LOT
laugh.gif

On the other hand, my wife's XJ6 makes no difference what brand oil you put in (same weight). Always sounds the same ...

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Certain additives like boron and molybdenum seem to keep noise down.

My engine is noticeably quieter and smoother.....after I changed from M-1 0w20 AFE to QSUD 0w20. M-1 is is a fine oil (and I'm not knocking it), but for my particular engine (2.3L Duratec)....QSUD 0w20 did the trick in running quieter.

QSUD... has about three times the molybdenum... as most other major synthetics...so I'm thinking that could the reason for my quieter engine.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

My engine is noticeably quieter and smoother.....after I changed from M-1 0w20 AFE to QSUD 0w20.

QSUD... has about three times the molybdenum... as most other major synthetics...so I'm thinking that could the reason for my quieter engine.

However M1 and PP use a different type of Moly than others. Overk1ll can explain this.

Originally Posted By: tig1

My engine is noticeably quieter and smoother.....after I changed from M-1 0w20 AFE to QSUD 0w20.

However M1 and PP use a different type of Moly than others. Overk1ll can explain this.

Doesn't matter what kind of moly....my engine still runs quieter on QSUD.

I can absolutely attest that my Toyota 1.8L in my now dearly departed 2013 Corolla.... DID sound different on Mobil 1 vs. Toyota TGMO vs Penzoil Platinum. The platinum was notably slower to quiet startup noise cold. The TGMO was quietest of the three at all temps. The mobil was actually a bit noisier than the Penzoil at full temp.

Except that it is "regular" moly, whilst the premium synthetics from Mobil and SOPUS use tri-nuclear moly, which is several times more effective and subsequently requires a much lower treatment rate for the same effect.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I can absolutely attest that my Toyota 1.8L in my now dearly departed 2013 Corolla.... DID sound different on Mobil 1 vs. Toyota TGMO vs Penzoil Platinum. The platinum was notably slower to quiet startup noise cold. The TGMO was quietest of the three at all temps. The mobil was actually a bit noisier than the Penzoil at full temp.

I have the same engine and dont find the TGMO to be quietest..my experience has the M1 AFE 0w20 keeps this thing the quietest..so maybe this is our own opinion based on how we hear things? I find TGMO to be one of the noisier oils.

Certain oils run smoother while accelerating, and sound quieter at start up. Call it psychological but i stick to those oils.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: SumpChump

I have the same engine and dont find the TGMO to be quietest..my experience has the M1 AFE 0w20 keeps this thing the quietest..so maybe this is our own opinion based on how we hear things? I find TGMO to be one of the noisier oils.

I noticed Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 to be quieter in my 08 Liberty than Amsoil ASM 0W20, and Edge 0W20. Next OCI I will be using a 30 grade oil, probably either PU 5W30 or AFE 0W30 I have both in my stash.

I recently learned that Chrysler changed their position regarding viscosity for the 08 Liberty. They originally spec'd only 5W20 for the 2008-2012 Liberty, now they gave 5W30 the nod as well. So 30 grade it is!

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I'd love to see a blinded test of this. I'll remain skeptical that engines can sound different based on different brands of oil.

Me too. Also include acoustic waveform measuring instruments to see if the engine noise signature really is different when filled with different oils. Sounds like a job for the Mythbusters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Me too. Also include acoustic waveform measuring instruments to see if the engine noise signature really is different when filled with different oils. Sounds like a job for the Mythbusters.

Here's a funny thing about engine sound. I had two bottles of AFE 0W20 and 0W30 side by side, they look identical. I grabbed the 0W20 by mistake last spring when I changed the oil and put my snowblower away for the winter. I knew as soon as it started running that something was wrong by the sound last week when it snowed. Sure enough I checked the bottle in my cabinet and I put the 0W20 in the machine. I swapped it out for 0W30 and the engine sounded better. Hearing has always been a good diagnostic tool, especially when you're working in a small garage. Opinions vary.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I think you are right. Properly measuring the noise would add credibility to what people hear. I am not sure how best to isolate noise you are not interested in. Things running off the serpentine make a lot of noise.

Would a knock sensor under a bolt be good enough to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back