2015 F-250 OEM Rear Sway Bar Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed my OEM Ford rear sway bar today. The hardest part of the whole job was dropping the skid plate and lowering the DEF tank enough to gain access to the upper bolt on the driver's side end link. Total time including cleanup was about 3 hours. I have not driven it yet, but based upon feedback from some of the Powerstroke forums I joined, I can expect better handling in the curves and while towing.

Ford does not offer this as a factory option for F-250/F-350s with 20" tires (have no idea why); it is only offered with the camper package and 18" tires. Finding all of the part numbers was tricky, but there were a few listings on some of the Powerstroke forums. A special thanks to BD Cardinal for helping me find the measurements on the end links (at one point I thought that I had the wrong ones, but I only needed to flip the swaybar over).

For anyone interested, here are the part numbers for an F-250 and total cost was about $175. There are aftermarket models out there, but I wanted the OEM bar. The parts for an F-350 are the same except the end links are longer. I know this works for the 2011-2016 SRW models:

1 each Rear Stabilizer Bar, (BC3Z5A772B) - comes with the rubber bushings
4 each Nut-Adjusting SCR, (W707492S439)
2 each End Links (F81Z-5K484-DA) (F-250 Only)
2 each End Links (7C3Z5K484F) (F-350 Only)
2 each Retainers (7C3Z5486B)
4 each Bolts for retainers (N605920 S439)

I will report back once I have driven it. Enjoy the photos while I go and finish cleaning up.

3dD021.jpg

p8hgJH.jpg

ZnAMij.jpg

hguiWc.jpg

tmwrdr.jpg

DfHwkK.jpg

KYWj3b.jpg

Nice job, thanks for sharing. Any chance it will hit the mag bytes under some odd suspension angle?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice job, thanks for sharing. Any chance it will hit the mag bytes under some odd suspension angle?
Thanks! It is hard to see it from the photos, but there is about 3" of clearance all around the Mag-Hytec cover.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Ford does not offer this as a factory option for F-250/F-350s with 20" tires (have no idea why); it is only offered with the camper package and 18" tires.

That seems so weird. There has to be some sort of reason, right? Right guys?

Thanks for posting these write-ups and pics, PSD.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Ford does not offer this as a factory option for F-250/F-350s with 20" tires (have no idea why); it is only offered with the camper package and 18" tires.

No idea either. We had a customer do the same thing, except this customer didn't come to me and didn't have the parts list that 2015_PSD did. It was entertaining watching all the wrong parts come and go.

[Ford does not offer this as a factory option for F-250/F-350s with 20" tires (have no idea why); it is only offered with the camper package and 18" tires.]

Who knows why Ford did that but it isn't the first time, for sure.

In the early 1990s only the 4wd Rangers had rear sway bars. About 1996, both 2wd and 4wd had them as standard. Same bar, same mounts.

I installed one on the back of my 1991 Ranger and BOY what a difference. It's 2wd so no off-road concerns. Got it out of a junk yard for $35 but yours is too new for that.

To me, the factory bar(s) can't be beat for ease of installation and virtually guaranteed good results. My brother and I have played with rear bars for decades going back to the 1960's. For us, the aftermarket bars usually made things too stiff, so the cars would rock slightly side to side when going over a bump.

If you're going to track a car, that is not a consideration. For those of us who simply like better handling, a good rear bar and a set of Bilsteins is really hard to beat. I indulged myself with Bilsteins on that 1991 Ranger also and LOVE it. Great ride, far better than factory and as tossable as one wants in a small pickup.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Looks awesome!! Glad I could help. It is kinda goofy that Ford didn't offer a rear bar on those.
The torque values were a huge help too! You should have seen the look on my oldest son's face when the torque wrench clicked at 76 ft-lb on the hard to reach driver's side. I was pulling as he held the top of the wrench and he thought something had just broken. My youngest died laughing at him (he had already heard the wrench click on the passenger side).

Nice upgrade!

Ford is all over the place with rear sway bars on pickups. My 1994 4x4 Ranger has one, but my 2002 2WD doesn't. There is a very reasonably priced and (last time I checked) pretty available Roush kit that fits my 2002, but it requires dropping the gas tank at least partially to install, which I don't really care to do.

It's been this way for quite a while. The only way to get the factory sway bar is with the camper package. My 2005 has the camper package, 18" wheels, and the factory sway bar.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Nice upgrade!
Thanks; I drove it a little while ago and it is a huge difference--especially in the curves. The back end is planted and the body roll was significantly reduced (not that it was horrible before, but it is definitely better now).
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Ford is all over the place with rear sway bars on pickups. My 1994 4x4 Ranger has one, but my 2002 2WD doesn't. There is a very reasonably priced and (last time I checked) pretty available Roush kit that fits my 2002, but it requires dropping the gas tank at least partially to install, which I don't really care to do.
I feel your pain. I tried 50 ways to install the driver's side link without pulling the skid plates and lowering the DEF tank, but it was not happening. I could snug the nut, but no way could I get it to 76 ft-lb of torque with the stubby ratcheting box end that I had. In the end, I had to remove 8 bolts and 8 nuts to drop the skid plate and lower the DEF tank. I used a floor jack to lower it about 3" and then I could get the torque wrench on the end link. The remaining fasteners on the swaybar were a piece of cake and the re-assembly of the skidplates and DEF tank was easier than the removal; anti-seize was applied to all of them in case I have to remove any of it in the future.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
That seems so weird. There has to be some sort of reason, right? Right guys? Thanks for posting these write-ups and pics, PSD.
It's been this way for quite a while. The only way to get the factory sway bar is with the camper package. My 2005 has the camper package, 18" wheels, and the factory sway bar.
It would be interesting to know why since it installs like...well...factory.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
You ought to do something about the rust on the driveshaft. LOL. Looks like a fun project and nice addition. Nice work!
Thanks! To be honest, I was surprised to see a steel driveshaft because I have seen aluminum under most Ford trucks these days. My truck has more than a few bare steel suspension/driveline components and I have been thinking about what to do to stop the rusting. I could spray it with oil, but dirt will start to collect in short order.

I have put about 50 miles on it since the bar was added and I have to say the difference is night and day. The rear end stays planted in the curves and the truck tracks steadier through them as well. Hard to believe that a rod of forged steel could make such a difference and why it is not offered as an option on these trucks. Anyone who is looking to increase the control of the truck while cornering should definitely look into one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back