Tire recommendations For Honda Accord V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My factory Michelins are done at 48,000 miles. I'm looking for a good tire to replace them. Not sure I want to stay with Michelin after a really bad experience with them on my last car. My local Discount Tire store recommends Conti Control Contact Sport A/S, Pirelli P-7's and Michelin Premier Pilot Sports.
My Accord is a 2012 V6 and I drive it hard sometime but never abuse it. I'm in Colorado so I need a tire good in the snow and wet roads. Also would prefer a tire that is quiet too and has a 50,000 mile or more tread life.
Any recommendations? Thanks!!!

I like the Pirelli there. When I had their p5 I was pleased with snow performance. Not sure how the p7 stacks up. Have you considered dedicated snow tires??

Continental tire. I had the continental tru contacts on my 2010 impala amd they were awesome on the wet and snow. I have factory continental pro contacts on my chevy malibu and they are alright in the wet and snow. Next set of tires will be continental.

Well several issues with your preferences:
1. Tires that are good in snow have very soft compound. That is why winter (snow) tires are wearing out fast in warm weather because they can stay flexible in cold weather and provide good grip. So looking for a tire that will do 50K+ means you will not get serious traction (for All season tire).
2. Tires that DT recommended are not going to be good in snow. I am your neighbor and anything above 2 inches here in CO will create issues for you in traction due to nature of that engine, and I do not even want to go in braking performance.
3. Do you ski? Travel often to mountains? If yes, get snow tires and then AS or summer tires for summer.
4. If you still want All season tire but some kind of grip in snow, go with Continental DWS 06 with lowest possible speed index and narrowest possible width for your Accord. Do not expect more then 40K on DWS and do not expect decent snow traction after 20K (pretty much that is with all AS tires).

Last edited:
Is your tire size 235/45-18?

The Control Contact Sport is a private exclusive DT-only version of the Extreme Contact DWS. I don't like private-label or exclusive tires.

Michelin's Premier is different than the Pilot Sport AS3. They are two different tires. The Premier is a touring tire, but it only starts with 8.5/32 of tread! The Pilot Sport AS3 is more of a performance tire, but at least it comes with the full 10/32 tread. Out of the two, get the Pilot Sport AS3.

The best choice for you would be the Dunlop Signature HP

My suggestions are:
Kumho Solus TA71
Continental DWS06
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
Dunlop Signature HP

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Is your tire size 235/45-18?

The Control Contact Sport is a private exclusive DT-only version of the Extreme Contact DWS. I don't like private-label or exclusive tires.

Michelin's Premier is different than the Pilot Sport AS3. They are two different tires. The Premier is a touring tire, but it only starts with 8.5/32 of tread! The Pilot Sport AS3 is more of a performance tire, but at least it comes with the full 10/32 tread. Out of the two, get the Pilot Sport AS3.

The best choice for you would be the Dunlop Signature HP

My suggestions are:
Kumho Solus TA71
Continental DWS06
Michelin Pilot Sport AS3
Dunlop Signature HP

Pilot AS3 would be horrible in snow here in CO. It is more summer tire then AS tire.

I love the Pirelli P7's on my wife's 2005 legacy turbo wagon. My favorite tire I have owned, no complaints with 15k on them and they are predictable in winter conditions.

Look at the sidewall tread plies of your OEM Michelins. I'm guessing they have a 2 ply sidewall. If you get anything downgraded with a 1 ply sidewall, your steering response will go down the drain.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I love the Pirelli P7's on my wife's 2005 legacy turbo wagon. My favorite tire I have owned, no complaints with 15k on them and they are predictable in winter conditions.

+3 on my '03 Accord in 2014, well liked.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Michelin Xice3, very sticky tire, on snow/ice of course, and summer their are OK. High speed rating.

It is dedicated snow tire.

Surprised alot of folks say the P7's are good in winter. Id say great in dry average in wet and not good in winter..guess it depends on car/conditions you drive in. Granted im used to having dedicated snows.

good in snow+long life is a tradeoff you need to consider. I'd also say DWS too.

Perhaps google and find your accord specific enthusiasts forum and see what tire size would still work for your wheels if they don't fit based on manufacturer's specs.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Cooper cs5 ULTRA touring

+1. Use discount tire direct and have them shipped to your tire place for install. Great tire

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Surprised alot of folks say the P7's are good in winter. Id say great in dry average in wet and not good in winter..guess it depends on car/conditions you drive in. Granted im used to having dedicated snows.

P7 has long life tread, so naturally not good in snow.
But then, people have different standards what is good or bad in snow.
For me any AS tire cannot be good in snow.

I think you need two sets of tires. What is great in summer, will not be great in snow.

I live in Alberta where there is a fairly short summer season with snow possible in almost every month. So I use high performance all season radials (not summer radials) and extend my spring and fall seasons. To be specific I use Michelin Premier all season high performance radials on my 2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT. Not the ultimate in performance but pretty good and won't leave me stranded if it snows. I have a separate set of winter wheels with full on winter tires (older Dunlops due for replacement because of age).

It depends where you live in Colorado. If you just drive in metro Denver or the Springs in well cleared areas, you could get by with all seasons only. If you travel in the mountains snow tires are a necessity.

I have an 07 accord V6 and have been very happy with the Michelin Primacy A/S. They wearing very well and have excellent traction in dry and wet conditions and good in slush and light snow. Ice is not great but better than other tires I have had including Goodyear triple tread, Michelin Premier & Pilots and several Continentals. I'd also consider the Michelin Xice3 for winter conditions.

The tread starts at 8/32 but does not need to be replaced as quickly because the grooves for rain expand as the tire wears. I saw about a 1.5 MPG decrease in mileage with these tires. They are by far the best tires I have owned even with the MPG penalty - excellent handling, low noise, and very surefooted on everything but ice. These tires will continue to brake and handle well even when worn.

Other good choices are the Pirelli Cintuarto P7 all season plus , which is better on ice, and is supposed to have longer tread life, and the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus (cheaper but worse tread life).

All come in 225/17 V rated. If you are unhappy with Michelin I would definitely get the P7's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back