Can someone explain Dexos 1 to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a car 20 years old that can digest any SH or better oil of 5W-20W or better. This is a post for my buddy who has a 2014 Chevy Silverado that is now out of warranty.

Just what is the Dexos 1 designation? Is it equivelent to the GF-5 or SN designations? Or is it just a marketing ploy to get people to buy more GM products?

Can any dino oils meet Dexos 1 specifications?

Your replies are appreciated. Educate this SH dinosaur, please.

There are not any conventional DINO oils that are certified DEXOS. I am sure you will get plenty of replies here. However, there is much information if you do a google search as well.

DEXOS exceeds GF-5 in some areas and it doesn't in others. Would his truck blow up if he put a non-Dexos semi synthetic or full synthetic in it? Probably not. But DEXOS oil doesn't cost any more than non-Dexos oil so cost wise it's no big deal.

Last edited:
dexos is mainly a cash grab.

No dinos meet dexos, but then again, even plain SN "dino" has at least some synthetic in it.

Lubrizol once posted API in there online oil comparison tool. Old API specs look like week sauce compared to nearly everything else and the newest ones are nothing to write home about. Dexos 1 and the diesel Dexos 2 oils are pretty good.
There is contention on the licensing fees however.

21no3d2.png
bfomjr.png

DEXOS is just a standard set by GM for motor oils. DEXOS approved oils are always at least a synthetic blend, no conventional is DEXOS approved.

GM only wants you to use oils that meet their DEXOS requirements in their engines. Any DEXOS approved oil is excellent.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Any DEXOS approved oil is excellent.

Certainly is a part of my oil buying future if I've ever got a hankering for an ILSAC oil, DEXOS will be the one(s) that I get.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
dexos is mainly a cash grab.

No dinos meet dexos, but then again, even plain SN "dino" has at least some synthetic in it.

Another BITOG-ism.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I have a car 20 years old that can digest any SH or better oil of 5W-20W or better. This is a post for my buddy who has a 2014 Chevy Silverado that is now out of warranty.

Just what is the Dexos 1 designation? Is it equivelent to the GF-5 or SN designations? Or is it just a marketing ploy to get people to buy more GM products?

Can any dino oils meet Dexos 1 specifications?

Your replies are appreciated. Educate this SH dinosaur, please.

Simple definition:

dexos1 ~ a synthetic oil of the latest API category

Most manufacturers that recommend 5w30 is using oil comparable to dexos1. For example Peugeot/Citroen recommends Total Ineos 5w30 that is also fuel economy focused, good cleaniness, antiwear, all above GF5 & SN specs... they re all in the same league.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
PSA (Total) can loose in fuel economy but gives a bath on the other aspects...

It's comparing apples to oranges. B71 2312 is a low-SAPS diesel-engine oil. dexos1 is a regular-SAPS gasoline-engine ool. There is no soot requirement for dexos1 and lower deposits of B71 2312 are due to the low-ash formulation.

And nobody uses diesel eo in gas cars or motorcycles? Garak? You? can see how dexos isnt the whole grail and can improve even with todays tech. That what I meant.

Last edited:
I would agree, Pontual, within reason. What spec is that one you quoted comparable to in ACEA? Is it closer to a C3 lubricant? But, the point you are making is well taken. We do have to be cautious about throwing around the terms about low-SAPS, mid-SAPS, and full-SAPS when we're comparing oils for completely different applications and completely different specifications. My Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is considered a mid-SAPS oil under ACEA E9. It is decidedly not mid-SAPS in comparison to any GF-5 or dexos1 oil, which do have significantly lower SA. ACEA E6 oils are also interesting and considered low-SAPS under the ACEA E sequence regime. I would certainly use an E6, E7, E9 oil in my G37.

Again, stop comparing apples to oranges. For diesel engines, there is dexos2, not dexos1. The low-SAPS PSA spec you posted is also known as ACEA C1/C2 with the additional low-HTHSV 0W-30 viscosity requirement -- no more, no less. Not too many people in US drive cars specd for ACEA Cx, which are with diesel engines equipped with DPF and certain direct-injection gas engines. Even in Europe, ACEA Cx isn't for every car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back