Koenigsegg’s Camshaft-Free Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been excited about the prospects of this since I first heard about it a few years ago. 25% improvements across the board is a huge leap forward.

Withe modern electronics and solenoids I'm surprised it took this long. Just surprised it's pneumatic vs electric. I'd think electric would be more durable and precise.

So no more timing belts or chains, less noise and vibration, and less threat of sludge by design?

In essence each valve assembly becomes an independently controlled mechanism like a fuel injector..

The nice thing is that you can program in safeties to prevent bent valves from malfunction.

Oh Awesome! NO breaking timing belts!

Ohhh, waaaait.... air channels right next to oil channels and a BRITTLE LITTLE gasket between them. I've seen a version of this disaster waiting to happen before. yeesh.

Nice head tech on antique reciprocating piston engine. I recall for senior HS drafting project designing a solenoid operated DOHC HEAD. wondering about reliability and control software giving the actuation count. Har dto beat mechanical camshaft operated poppet valves for reliability and cost and ease of maintenance.

My take - High Time for a whole new external combustion turbine paradigm.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Withe modern electronics and solenoids I'm surprised it took this long. Just surprised it's pneumatic vs electric. I'd think electric would be more durable and precise.

Bitog 2025... the future...
Question: Posted by CHEVYDUD15: "Hey guys, there is a used 2021 Chevy Caprice with the Koenig V6 for sale on C.List... should I get it!?"

Reply: Posted by DOOGX: "Double check that it had the Recall 21vKoeningUpdate performed at the dealer. Cars produced before Oct. of 2020 for the next model year have the weak 'blue' gaskets between the oil and air chambers. Oh, and make sure that the service records show that they not only replace the gasket with the new 'green' one but also that they use the pneumatic chamber spray to clean the chamber after disassembly. Oh and be sure that the service history shows that any actuators were replaced in PAIRS or the other opposing valve actuator had to make up and dragged it's timing thereby ovaled out it's cylinder wall for who knows how many miles. Oh, and besure that the maintainence records show that the secondary air inlet had it's 50k mile filter changed at least by 30k because those are buried under the right fender and many folks didn't change those before the specified time. They are $300 at the dealer but the new filter media should last the rest of the life of the engine."

From what I gather, cam lobes and timing chains are very hard on oil - causing shearing.
Could this technology either greatly extend OCI, reduce oil capacity requirements (say 5 quarts to 3 quarts) or both?

Originally Posted By: SumpChump

Ohhh, waaaait.... air channels right next to oil channels and a BRITTLE LITTLE gasket between them. I've seen a version of this disaster waiting to happen before. yeesh.

At least when the pneumatic valve springs failed it F1 it was spectacular.

Koenigsegg makes beautifully engineered cars. They are like works of art, but kind of ugly.

Bringing such an engine to the market is exactly the kind of thing one would expect from him. A low volume, expensive rocket ship of a car is the perfect launching pad.

I saw one of his cars in an underground parking structure. It was surrounded by dozens of people and the owner was answering questions. The fit and finish was nothing less than perfect. You have to see the car in person to appreciate that perfection.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: SumpChump

At least when the pneumatic valve springs failed it F1 it was spectacular.

Indeed! I bet they would develop "leak down" over many miles of use and would reach a point where the computer couldn't compensate any more and she would go into "limp mode" and then you drive it to the dealer at 70k to find out that 3 of 6 need replacing for just $400 each. LOL Cool thing is that somebody like Lucas would make a fast setting pneumatic valve seat spray that you shoot in at high revs and shut it of hard and suddenly and that would fix it good enough to dump the thing on some other poor soul on CList.

That's why electronic solenoid is probably the path forward, as long as it can be built to the required number of actuations, fine control of the actuations, compact and of course - cost.

Easy-peasy.

As a fellow Swede, I obviously like Königsegg. As someone pointed out, why did the individually controlled valves take so long while the MPI took off so easily and the valve control is so central to power, economy, driveability and emissions?
Well, anyways, check out the hydraulic body "assist" in the first video.
Also, look at the Regera, with the engine directly connected to the rear drive with no gearbox. 0-250 mph no gear changes, just v8 and electric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bijcZGGjXbM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMmdl77VOxg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Don't let the battery run down.

I wonder if some type of capacitor could be used with this type of engine to provide power even under voltage irregularities.

haha, I think the v8 surely be able charge that battery?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Don't let the battery run down.

I've seen prototype of these cam free valve system back in school in the 90s. The problems back then were 1) it isn't fast enough, max out at around 5k rpm, and 2) it takes a lot of height so no go for a 4 cyl, and 3) it is expensive and weren't that much more efficient than variable valve timing / opening for the drag (alternator -> electricity -> coil for valve or air / oil pressure system).

For a supercar I think that is fine, for a Corolla it would be a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back