Making your mushrooms produce Vitamin D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumbled across this today while reading a Conspiracy mag and generating my own Vitamin D today.

http://www.fungi.com/blog/items/place-mushrooms-in-sunlight-to-get-your-vitamin-d.html

Quote:
Here is a simple experiment we did one summer afternoon in Kamilche Point, Washington. We compared several forms of organically grown shiitake mushrooms, which had starting level of 100 IU/100 grams. We compared the vitamin D levels of three sets of mushrooms, all from the same crop. The first was grown and dried indoors. The second set was dried outdoors in the sunlight with their gills facing down. The third set of mushrooms was dried outdoors in the sunlight with their gills facing upwards for full sun exposure. The most vitamin D was found in shiitake dried with gills up that were exposed to sunlight for two days, six hours per day. The vitamin D levels in these mushrooms soared from 100 IU/100 grams to nearly 46,000 IU/100 grams (see chart). Their stems, though, produced very little vitamin D, only about 900 IU. Notably, vitamin D levels dropped on the third day, probably due to over-exposure to UV.

Most interesting to me is that when we tested our mushrooms nearly a year after exposure, they preserved significant amounts of vitamin D2. I suspect values are much higher initially, gradually falling in time, consistent with reports by other researchers. This means that you can capture vitamin D in mushrooms and have a ready source of this important vitamin—and delicious mushrooms—through the fall, winter, and spring.

Just stay in the morning or evening sun without a shirt for 30 min once a week.

Free vitamin D for everyone
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Andy636
Just stay in the morning or evening sun without a shirt for 30 min once a week.

Free vitamin D for everyone
smile.gif

It's not free. You have to spend 30 minutes.

Us old people need extra D2. Even with the proper exposure we don't create enough for proper levels of D2. I get tested twice a year. I take a 2000 gel cap every morning. It's good to know about the mushrooms.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Us old people need extra D2. Even with the proper exposure we don't create enough for proper levels of D2. I get tested twice a year. I take a 2000 gel cap every morning. It's good to know about the mushrooms.

I think it's something that has been lost with modern food production.

When I was a kid going shooting with Dad, we'd harvest field mushrooms...clearly they were exposed to the sun, and presumably producing fairly serious amounts of vitamin D.

growing them in abandoned train tunnels, in pitch dark has presumably lost the vit D, and these "findings" are just re-establishing what should be the norm.

Not to distract from this cool fact about mushrooms, but it is vitamin D3 that is more useful to the human body than D2.

Cholecalciferol (D3) > Ergocalciferol (D2)

Notice how the name of D3 begins like cholesterol. Our skin makes D3 from cholesterol when exposed to sunlight.

Mushrooms are not plants. I think their structure is held by chitin (ex, crustacean exoskeletons) rather than cellulose (ex, plant cell walls).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back