2007 Chevy with AFM engine.....oil burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wandlsubaru.com/used/Chevrolet/2007-Chevrolet-Silverado+1500-5d71b5810a0a00e050a764ed04f0618a.htm?searchDepth=2:10

Can anyone tell me if this truck has the Active Fuel Management engine in it? Wondered if they have an emblem on them or something on the dash that would indicate it. Been researching trucks and from what I have been reading these engines were known to consume a lot of oil. I wanted to be able to look at a truck and be able to stay away from potential oil burners.

I strongly fight the urge to buy an all new first year model of any vehicle.

From the data on the CarFax report, it was likely built 2/2007.

From the dates that I've seen, they'd only been building the new model (GMT900) for a few months at that point, as they actually started the 2007 production year building the old GMT800's.

A few months? A huge pass on that alone.

It's been for sale since 06/05/2015?
crazy2.gif

You need a picture of the engine. "active fuel management" or the earlier "displacement on demand" is on the engine cover of the sedans with the 5.3l engine.
Yes to oil burning; more than a non-AFM engine.

Originally Posted By: wolfehunter
http://www.wandlsubaru.com/used/Chevrolet/2007-Chevrolet-Silverado+1500-5d71b5810a0a00e050a764ed04f0618a.htm?searchDepth=2:10

Can anyone tell me if this truck has the Active Fuel Management engine in it? Wondered if they have an emblem on them or something on the dash that would indicate it. Been researching trucks and from what I have been reading these engines were known to consume a lot of oil. I wanted to be able to look at a truck and be able to stay away from potential oil burners.

All 5.3s since 2007 have had AFM. The 2007-2008 were the worst for potential oil consumption, but people as late as 2011 still had problems. Our 2009 started drinking oil at about 35k. The revised PCV valve cover and AFM relief valve shield began showing up in late 2010 builds.

I had a 2007 k1500 with the 5.3 afm. It would burn a half quart of Mobil 1 5w30 in 3000 miles. (I was a firm believer in 3k intervals then). The engine cover only boasted "vortec" there was no AFM indicator on mine.
My first NEW vehicle turned a GM guy to the the blue oval. In 42k miles I had no mechanical problems as far as drive train but a water leak that flooded both floorboards and the dealers couldn't locate it without a blank check.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Originally Posted By: wolfehunter

All 5.3s since 2007 have had AFM. The 2007-2008 were the worst for potential oil consumption, but people as late as 2011 still had problems. Our 2009 started drinking oil at about 35k. The revised PCV valve cover and AFM relief valve shield began showing up in late 2010 builds.

All GMT-900 platform truck 5.3L's have AFM. 2007 GMT-800 platform trucks do not have AFM.

In that body style as pictured, yes that was the first year for AFM in the 5.3 motors. And some did burn oil. It would be good to know the service history on this truck. There is an easier and cheaper way to eliminate the AFM from activating. Link here:

http://www.rangetechnology.com/

Please note-if it is already an oil burner a tune or this device will not stop the oil consumption.

Last edited:
I noticed on the car fax report that the second owner was changing the oil on a short interval and called the salesman. He told me that the previous owner took it to the dealer because he was adding 1/2 a quart of oil per 1000 miles. The dealer told him this was "normal" for this engine. I think I will pass on it! Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back