ETHANOL TREATMENTS FOR SMALL ENGINES?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What seems to be working for you? I've had good luck with a combo of Pri-G and Startron in all the garage animals - lawnmower, chainsaw, trimmer. Run that same combo in a 20 year old Yamaha 2-cycle for many years with good luck. Just wondering what else is out there.

I use 91 octane non-ethanol fuel in my small engines. During storage periods I siphon out the gas and run in a tank of 100LL aviation fuel.

Next Spring(Winter for snowblower) I burn through the 100LL then add gas as it burns down. The concentration gradually increases with the non-ethanol fuel.

I just add some Sta-bil to the fuel that I purchase. I'd do the same to any fuel that may not get used in a month or two, not just E10.

In more than 3 decades of using E10, in chainsaws, mowers, garden tractors, rototillers, and all sorts of other small engines, I've never had a single problem. Even in my show tractors that often sit without starting for several months at a time I've never had a fuel related problem.

The only product I have had really good luck with is Sea Foam. Granted my engines sit vacant longer than a couple months and that maybe why I don't have luck with Stabil. Sea Foam works.

I've had some problems running E10 with my chainsaw. On most of my small engines I run E10 until toward the end of the season, at which time I switch to either 100LL avgas (with a little Sta-Bil added) or the expensive "engineered fuel" they sell at Lowes or Home Depot. My chainsaw is rarely used, so I only use the 2-cycle engineered fuel in it. By the time I winterize my small engines there is no more ethanol in the fuel tank. If the engineered fuel was less expensive, or if 100LL was more convenient to purchase, I would use either of those exclusively in my small engines.

I've never had a fuel problem on any small engine with E-10, even without adding any stabilizer, and some have sat for a couple of years with no problem.

I get E0 at a local Stewarts, marine blue Stabil and run it at end of season until it dies from empty gas tank.

I am having issues with my snowblower so I am thinking maybe I forgot to run it until is dies.

No problems with non E premium - that's been working for me. Junk E10 seems to run after a year storage in the snowblower - but not super. I add some top oil that's helps I think!
Good enough to run it out blowing snow till I get fresh gas in there.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The only product I have had really good luck with is Sea Foam. Granted my engines sit vacant longer than a couple months and that maybe why I don't have luck with Stabil. Sea Foam works.

THIS + 1000

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No problems with non E premium - that's been working for me. Junk E10 seems to run after a year storage in the snowblower - but not super. I add some top oil that's helps I think!
Good enough to run it out blowing snow till I get fresh gas in there.

I haven't had trouble since I started using E10 premium for my small engines...sometimes I add Stabil, sometimes I forget, but using premium instead of regular seems to have helped with stale gas problems. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, of course...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, of course...

Wouldn't it be nice if more people understood this?

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, of course...

Wouldn't it be nice if more people understood this?

Might help to rephrase it...just because B happened after A does not mean that B happened BECAUSE of A.

Was at Fenway once and an obnoxious drunk college kid kept screaming some kind of nonsense hex when the Yanks were batting. He did it for the 25th or whatever time just before Bernie Williams happened to strike out and about half a dozen of us had had more than enough and yelled at him to shut up.
His reply...
"Whaddya mean, shut up?!?!? It worked, didn't it???"

Is Seafoam used like Stabil, where it is just mixed with the fuel routinely? And I understand it does an amazing job of cleaning the fuel system, too. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax

Is Seafoam used like Stabil, where it is just mixed with the fuel routinely? And I understand it does an amazing job of cleaning the fuel system, too. Thanks.

There is directions on the can. Just follow the directions for fuel stabilization. Works in two and four strokes and Ive had it keep gas good for over a year.

Gumout multi-system has PEA plus fuel stabilizers in it
Seafoam can act as an upper cylinder lubricant and fuel stabilizer supposedly but has no strong cleaners
Sta-bil has a new 360 product that is supposed to treat fuel for stability and ethanol but it doesn't have any cleaning properties.

I plan to run 1oz per gallon of Gumout multi-system because it seems to be a stronger antioxidant and also keeps the carbon deposits down. https://gumout.com/gumout-science/testing

I had a long trip to go on today. I bought a can of Seafoam, the filled up. I ran it for about 50 miles on the expressway. The next time I stopped, the acceleration from a dead stop was much improved. The truck is running much much better. Thanks for the tip, gents. Hot Ajax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back