Mobil 1 grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyone's thoughts on Mobil 1 synthetic grease? For general chassis and wheel bearing grease. It will get used in the boat trailer wheel bearings too. Thanks in advance.

Anything GC-LB rated is fine for bearings and chassis points. I've used Mobil 1 before, worked great on tie rod ends, ball joints, and idler pulley. Never used on bearings because my trailer hubs are oil-bath. Currently use Amsoil All-Purpose grease which is virtually identical.

I have a tub I use for fasteners as well as packing bearings, never used it in my gun though.

That said, I've heard a lot of talk about it running; haven't seen any seperation in the tub I keep in the garage year round for years on end.

For a boat trailer, use a less expensive grease and instead repack the bearings more often.

Clean and fresh 'regular' grease is preferable to water contaminated Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Only grease that ran like water out of my grease gun.
I had problems with that in the early 90s. Does M1 grease still do that?

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
It will work just fine for your application but not worth the $$ vs other greases

If you require a "synthetic" grease then look at Valvoline Synpower. I have been using it for a couple years because it combines high enough operating temps for disc brake wheel bearings as well as enough moly to make me happy for suspension but not so much to make me concerned on bearings. Plus, it seems to hold up well FOR ME... At least I haven't noticed any separation in 3 years in my grease gun (second cartridge).

Mobil 1 grease seems to do very well in wheel bearings, but my experience using it on heavy equipment was terrible. It washed out of some processor bearings in a matter of hours, and required very frequent re-greasing in the bucket pins on a front end loader. That might not make it any worse than many other general purpose greases...but certainly doesn't make it better than average in an application with shock loads or moisture.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Rand
Only grease that ran like water out of my grease gun.
I had problems with that in the early 90s. Does M1 grease still do that?

Unfortunately, yes, but lots of greases do. I still use it regardless, it's good grease.

I have a tub (not tube) of M1 which sits in the garage 24/7/365 that has shown no signs of seperation in 4 years.

I have a tube (not tub) of Valvoline Synpower which sits in my grease gun mixed between garage and in house storage which has shown zero seperation in 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back