Dex VI AND Merc LV approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys- am in the process of replacing the transmission in a Camry and the trans re-builder supplied the fluid. Peak synthetic multi vehicle... Was looking at the label and it claims BOTH Dex VI and Merc LV approvals. Thought that was weird so I looked on the back and sure enough- there they were, both GM and Ford license numbers.

How can this be? I was under the impression that they were different enough that one fluid wouldn't suffice?

I know that the transmission in some of the GM vehicles (Acadia, Enclave, Traverse) and some of the Ford vehicles (Edge, Explorer I believe also) were a joint venture by GM and Ford. Since they developed them wonder if a common use transmission fluid could also be used in each, such as you pictured.

My understanding, well it doesn't help you much. I thought that while viscosity was similar/same between the two the friction characteristics were spec'd differently. Additionally, I also thought that there are multiple aftermarket fluids which claim they are good for both applications including the much lauded maxlife as well as amsoil?

I think I've seen this before with Maxlife. The viscosity requirements for Merc and Dex VI don't overlap. Comes down to PEAKs "interpretation" of what is acceptable because MercLV has a range of acceptable sheer down that goes below the viscosity of this fluid.

Maybe this will be PQIA's next witch hunt.

The product does list actual Ford and GM license numbers. Now, if there is something amiss with the product doing so, that's now in the hands of GM and Ford to address. It's not the PQIA's job to provide enforcement for Ford's and GM's licensing programs.

That's what threw me... This isn't a "Recommend for", or "Meets or exceeds" fluid. This is actually licensed for both applications, which means they had to test it against the Ford and GM requirements. No interpretations here.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
That's what threw me... This isn't a "Recommend for", or "Meets or exceeds" fluid. This is actually licensed for both applications, which means they had to test it against the Ford and GM requirements. No interpretations here.

Yes I've seen lots of "recommended for" or "suitable for use in applications calling for". This is the first fluid I've seen that lists both approval numbers - that doesn't mean there aren't others out there, just that I haven't seen them.

I think Mercon/Mercon V is being confused with Mercon LV. I believe they are different specs.

Peak also makes a product for the plain Merc spec.

LV and Dex-VI are similar enough to be substitutes IMO. Maxlife can be used in both and I have used it in both my Silverado and fathers f150.

I'm convinced you could mix dex vi and LV in any application that calls for one or the other.

Mag 1 Low-Vis ATF is also carries formal approval from both Ford and GM. And it is most likely very similar if not identical to the Peak syn because both are made by WPP (and also Pep Boy's Pro Line synthetic ATF, which has both licenses).

For a while now I've seen Mag 1 atf for sale at the Toyota dealer by the parts dept. They have it for $3.99 a quart.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Uh, they policed Maxlife...

Which claims no GM or Ford license numbers, right? I don't see any formal approvals or license numbers on the back of that bottle, but I do see claims. The is something the PQIA looks at. If someone claims a Ford or GM license that doesn't actually exist, that's up to Ford or GM to police, and I bet they would, and quite vigorously.

Well I'll be... Sounds like it's not as uncommon as I thought. Also sounds like the Dex VI and Merc LV are kind of like the old Dexron and Mercon oils- more or less the same product in the same bottle.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Well I'll be... Sounds like it's not as uncommon as I thought. Also sounds like the Dex VI and Merc LV are kind of like the old Dexron and Mercon oils- more or less the same product in the same bottle.

This is the way I've understood LV and Dex VI as well. Close enough that they should be able to meet both specs with one fluid.

To expand on that a bit. One can use dex vi in place of dex III, but id be very wary of a fluid that claims to meet merc V and merc sp and merc LV or claims compability with those fluid reqirements (e.g. Maxlife). As far as I know v, sp, and LV specs cannot be met wit one fluid on viscosity alone.

I know maxlife is well respected on here, but for that reason alone I will never buy it. I think they are blowing smoke up people's rear ends.

Why not let's tabulate the viscosity requirements for ourselves and see what lines up and what doesn't on viscosity alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back