Hot Sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tapatío is a basic hot sauce you can find just about anywhere that is pretty good. It is more or less an American made version of Valentina sauce.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Tapatío is a basic hot sauce you can find just about anywhere that is pretty good. It is more or less an American made version of Valentina sauce.

Loved it when I was in CA. Can't find it here. Frank's is what I use along with the really hot stuff like
Daves Private Reserve
Megasoreass
Three brothers habenaro garlic salsa
Pepper Palace death by salsa

Try everything. I love hot sauce. There are lots of small brands out there. Lots of things to pick from.

I like Frank's. Louisiana is also good, especially their habanero sauce. Right now I have an assortment pack of "Captain Redbeard's Sharkbite" hot sauces and they are pretty good.
http://www.captainfoods.com/product-category/hot-sauces/sharkbite-hot-sauces/

This stuff is probably my favorite hot sauce overall, though I would never be able to just settle on one brand or one type of pepper. I usually have about 5+ different hot sauces to pick from in my fridge.
http://store.puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/products/extra-mean-green-sauce

Yes, and even the hot sauce isle at Wal-Mart has some hotter choices. Most of it is fairly cheap, nothing dangerously hot.

I like Frank's and the price is great.
I use Sriracha in restaurants whenever I see it, have never bought it to use at home for some reason.
My favorites are actually hot mustards, not like the Chinese stuff that shoots up your nose but with hot peppers in it. I have some stuff in the fridge called Colon Cleaner that has to be used drop by drop.

I like Tobasco bc it is low in sodium. Tobasco is hot enough.
I don't think it can be beat. They must be doing something right for the last 150 years.

Hot sauce on meat make me wonder how rancid could this be.

I worked in Africa and hot sauce was sometimes the only way to get the meal down. Our work camps did not have electricity or any kind of refrigeration. Ice was only a far away dream.

So, today I don't use the stuff. Old habits are hard to break, sometimes.

I see the bottles on the shelf but can't bring myself to pick one up.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Cholula original hot sauce is my favorite. It's not overpowering.

+1

I like the flavor of it, has a nice taste and not too hot. Great in bloody caesers! If I want something hotter I reach for anything made with ghost peppers.

The pepper plant hot sauce from California is good.

Siracha is good.

I like original red, smoked and green tabasco depending upon the food.

Also check out Tiger sauce for a sweeter heat, and if you can get it, Jerome's hot sauce from the VI.

There's a whole industry of hot sauces out there. An amazing variety of small producers that do not show up on grocery store shelves.

After a comprehensive search for a hot sauce that has the same flavor profile of a louisiana cayenne/vinegar sauce such as Franks, Texas Pete, Louisiana, Crystal etc, but at a much higher heat level (50k scoville or higher). I finally found it in Tropical Pepper Co Ghost Pepper.

Namely I've been looking for something to make an ultra hot buffalo wing sauce that is true to the buffalo wing sauce flavor. Prior to that, I've tried straight capsaicin extract, but that has a very distinct taste to it and shows up in the sauce. Other ultra hots vary wildly in flavoring.

http://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Pepper-Company-Ghost-Jolokia/dp/B0070XYM1I

Currently in my cupboard.

Original Tabasco
Jalapeno Tabasco
Chipotle Tabasco
Sweet chili Tabasco
Cholula
Chipotle Cholula
Lime Cholula
Franks
Louisiana Crystal
Tapatio
Boars Head jalapeno pepper sauce

Most used are Cholula or Chipotle Tabasco. Least favorite is the lime Cholula, its gross. Just haven't gotten around to throwing it away yet.

Originally Posted By: cutter
After a comprehensive search for a hot sauce that has the same flavor profile of a louisiana cayenne/vinegar sauce such as Franks, Texas Pete, Louisiana, Crystal etc, but at a much higher heat level (50k scoville or higher). I finally found it in Tropical Pepper Co Ghost Pepper.

Namely I've been looking for something to make an ultra hot buffalo wing sauce that is true to the buffalo wing sauce flavor. Prior to that, I've tried straight capsaicin extract, but that has a very distinct taste to it and shows up in the sauce. Other ultra hots vary wildly in flavoring.

http://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Pepper-Company-Ghost-Jolokia/dp/B0070XYM1I
Wow. How much do you use in the sauce? That stuff is insanely hot if it's 500,000. I ate some wings coated in Dave's Insanity which is like 50K on a bet years ago. It was not pleasant.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Hot sauce on meat make me wonder how rancid could this be.

I worked in Africa and hot sauce was sometimes the only way to get the meal down. Our work camps did not have electricity or any kind of refrigeration. Ice was only a far away dream.

So, today I don't use the stuff. Old habits are hard to break, sometimes.

I see the bottles on the shelf but can't bring myself to pick one up.

I believe that chili was invented to help preserve the beef as well as cover up any rot. Beans were added later to help stretch the meat longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back