VW 507 oil...quick run down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find searching this forum a bit troubling because of the specific terms it sometimes doesn't recognize. (I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, another topic)

Anyway, as far as 507 oils, is there any stellar performing ones? I'm leaning toward LiquiMoly, but I'm open to anything and everything. I'm going to stick to the 10k mile OCI, and will be using OEM oil and air filters.

Originally Posted By: Philth
I find searching this forum a bit troubling because of the specific terms it sometimes doesn't recognize. (I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, another topic)

Anyway, as far as 507 oils, is there any stellar performing ones? I'm leaning toward LiquiMoly, but I'm open to anything and everything. I'm going to stick to the 10k mile OCI, and will be using OEM oil and air filters.

Mobil1 5W30 ESP or Pennzoil 5W30 Euro L.
I would say those two oils are ahead of the others.

Pretty much any oil meeting that particular spec is going to be an outstanding oil. I doubt you would find one that "stands out" from the rest

Originally Posted By: kschachn
How would you know one performs better than another one? Please don't say UOA...

How else can one measure performance of an oil over 10k miles? Please don't say color.

How would you know one performs better than another one? Please don't say UOA...

How else can one measure performance of an oil over 10k miles? Please don't say color.

What would you look for in a UOA to determine performance? The only thing UOAs are good for are looking for coolant in the oil, the TBN and perhaps gross breakdown of some engine component leading to huge wear metal numbers.

Even TBN is iffy since you really don't know if the retention is linear.

If performance to you means how long a specific lube can last in service, a UOA can help determine performance. If it's wear protection that you're looking for, the UOA won't help you determine that at all.

They aren't a "measure" of "performance"...they are an "indicator" of "serviceability"

You guys have entirely too much time on your hands. I apologize for not wording a question with correct, scientific terms.

Well, you do know that performance can mean different things to different people. There is no specific "performance" metric for oil. For me, cost effectiveness is performance. I've never had an engine wear out because of oil choice, so I can't exactly use that as a performance metric.

So, low TBN after x amount of miles, or high wear metals aren't indicative of an oil's performance?

Not really. TBN could drop from 8 to 2.5 quickly, then stay at 2.5 for many thousands of more miles. High wear metals could be from an engine failure unrelated to lubrication. On the flipside. you could have huge chunks of aluminum from blown pistons laying in your sump yet a UOA would come back perfect.

UOAs are just for poops and chuckles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

I believe the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L has been discontinued by Shell. Amazon no longer has it. It was a great deal for a 507 oil (subscribe and save). The replacement, Pennzoil Euro LX, is very hard to find right now. Shell makes a new product, then it hides it from the customer to buy it. Go figure.

Don't worry. Soon, this one will be more readily available, and then subsequently replaced, too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Don't worry. Soon, this one will be more readily available, and then subsequently replaced, too.
wink.gif

I've been hearing this as well, but nothing. I really liked that oil for my Jetta.

Originally Posted By: SR1919
Originally Posted By: edyvw

I believe the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L has been discontinued by Shell. Amazon no longer has it. It was a great deal for a 507 oil (subscribe and save). The replacement, Pennzoil Euro LX, is very hard to find right now. Shell makes a new product, then it hides it from the customer to buy it. Go figure.

Just saw your post. I think on Amazon you can still find Platinum Euro 5W30.
This LX looks really good. But, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is going on with these oils and BMW certification process?
M1 0W40 does not carry LL-01 anymore
M1 0W30 X1 does not carry LL-04.
Now this oil does not carry LL-04.

I've been hearing this as well, but nothing. I really liked that oil for my Jetta.

I'm working, albeit slowly, at trying to get this matter straightened out, at least in the Canadian market. There seems to be some confusion between what's available up here and what's available in the States for which A3/B4 type oil is available and which has which builder approval. Shell's weird Canadian distribution model isn't helping.
wink.gif

Hi folks, just joined
smile.gif

Out of the 507 oils I would recommend the Mobil 1 ESP or the Motul Specific 504/507, I live in the UK and the Mobil 1 ESP is quite a popular choice.

I use it in my current 1.9 TDI PD130 which has done over 120k miles, and going back 3/4 years I ran a 1.9 TDI to over 140k using VW507 spec oils with no issues.

http://www.wp-automotive.co.uk/res/4601_P_Diesel Eng_Adv_IC.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back