NAPA Gold vs. WIX>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that NAPA filters are made by WIX, but I was curious if the NAPA Gold, and the WIX, are the EXACT same filter, or if there are differences?
confused.gif

If so, which would you choose and why? Both are the same price here, basically.

Thanks for the help...
smile.gif

Except for the differences in can colors you sometimes find, IIRC, they are the exact same filters internally.

The common wisdom on here says they are the same, exactly. From pictures I have seen they are exactly the same in construction. It could be that the media is slightly different, but I think BITOG would have figured that out a while ago if true.

Reason for choosing one over the other? For me it is purely convenience. There is a NAPA Auto Parts close to me. I would have to drive a bit if I wanted to get a WIX brand.

If you're as nuts as the rest of us around here, you could check out Filter1 (www.filter1.com) and put together an order of six or more WIX filters totalling over $50. Their prices are about 40% of NAPA's on average, they ship to your door for free and there is no sales tax. You can order less, but then you pay shipping.

I mix and match Wix air filters in with the oil filters at F1 to get the minimum 6 to order too. Their air filters are darn good....and also 40% below local prices. I've found local retail prices for Wix to be less than NAPA Gold filters as it is. So it's even a LOT less at Filter1.

So it's actually better (different internally) than a Proselect but not as good as a NAPA Gold quality-wise? (is the only difference that gimmicky "spin-flow" collar around the base of the filter medium or are there other more meaningful differences such as a better filter medium?) Thanks for any info you can provide from the inside!

The spin flow system does work, it breaks up the laminar flow across the element. Much the same as all those wavy fins in your radiator do to airflow. And yes to your other questions.

I'm Not gonna tell ya what laminar flow is.
dunno.gif

There are a few very obvious differences...

The name
The color
The graphics
The distribution network.
The pricing
The part numbers

So other than that they are identical in every other way.
pat.gif

PS next time you visit Charlotte, see the Wix plant on the left about 18 miles North of the SC NC border. Big sign sez Wix right there on it.

Pete C--What about the NAPA Nascar select? Where does that fit in? Is it just a NAPA Proselect with the Nascar name on the canister? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 240DL
Fleet Filter did a dissection that can be seen at the below link. http://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-wix-filter.html
According to this they are not exactly the same despite being made on the same line, etc. The NAPA Gold is the better filter (at least in this comparison):

- Media pleats are 58 for the NG versus 56 for the WIX
- Media height is 3.73" for the NG versus 3.655" for the WIX
- Media length is 82" for the NG versus 79.75" for the WIX
- Media area is 305.86" for the NG versus 291.49" for the WIX

whatever way you look at it Wix is ususally a quality filter their problem is they are usually hard to find and the stores that carry them usually hide them behind the counter and want top dollar for them.. needless to say if people can't touch them and actually see them they dont usually buy them i know i wont.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
whatever way you look at it Wix is ususally a quality filter their problem is they are usually hard to find and the stores that carry them usually hide them behind the counter and want top dollar for them.. needless to say if people can't touch them and actually see them they dont usually buy them i know i wont.

+1 on Wix quality.

O'Reilley carries them. You can also mail order from Rock Auto Parts. Good looking filters.

problem with rock auto is sometimes you get a dilter that has been sitting around for a year or two..I like to pick my own filters thats why i lean towards the fram ultra, I do open the box to make sure its perfect.

Here is one of my previous posts from another thread explaining why all the models arent on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
They wouldnt have the shelf space on the floor. Have you ever see how many models of air, fuel, atf, hydraulic and oil filters Oreillys carries? Fram may have all of their stuff on the floor, but I assure you WIX had more merchandise in the store.

When I worked at the counter at Oreilly's, I pulled the part and opened the box in front of the customer. Checked for damage and verified the part number. Found a few that were damaged so I either got them another or re-ordered for them. I ended up talking one guy into a Motorcraft though.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back