What's the best 20w50 out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 6.0 ls engine built for my hot rod, it has a hydraulic roller cam. My paticular engine builder sets up the bearing clearences loose. Because of this, he recommends using valvoline conventional 20w50. Are there any 20w50 Dino oils out there that would be better for my engine? Also, my engine builder said to use conventional oil and not a synthetic. Thanks, mike

Find a better engine builder. If someone told me they were going to set the clearances loose on my engine and wanted me to use 20w50 oil and never use synthetic, I'd walk out of their faster than he could blink.

Incompetence and ignorance is what it is.

Sure. 15W-50 Mobil 1

Yes, I know that's not "Dino" oil. Yes, I know it's not quite 20W-50. It's better on both counts. Also a street rod engine doesn't need or want loose bearing clearances. You can spin a 6.0 plenty fast with factory bearing clearances. The reason for wide clearances is when the block, crank or both flex the metal parts need to stay apart. The LS architecture is quite rigid and therefore the bearing clearances do not need to be wide. I would also suggest a different engine builder.

He is actually one of the better engine builders in the LS community with an excellent reputation for building quality engines.

Maybe he is just old school on oil technology. Why not ask him about oil pressure instead of weights?

Many "old school" engine builders still build engines with fairly loose bearing clearances because they like the idea of a nice, thick film of oil cushion between the bearings vs any chance of metal to metal contact at sustained RPM's. The trick is to use a High Volume oil pump and not worry so much about the pressure. I've built many like this and when abused as race engines are, they last quite awhile and make good power.

I have a 2.1 liter B series engine in my brothers Civic hatchback that I built using Clevite race bearings at almost double what Honda recommends for bearing clearances. It is 12.8:1 compression and spins 9500rpm. I use 20W50 oil and see over 80psi oil pressure at all times when its above 2500rpm.

All my past 302 Fords and GM small blocks were built loose as well with no problems ever.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
What's the name of this engine builder?

How loose is "loose clearances"?

Thompson motorsports built the short block for me and I did the rest. And I don't know an exact number as to how loose they are.

I would NOT be comfortable with his recommendations fwiw...but it looks like your mind is made up.

That being said my father has a 3800 series II that requires 50wt oil to keep oil pressure. The engine suffered from a hydro-lock after the intake failed early in its life (45k) doing damage to the lower end. With anything below 50wt oil, the low pressure light flashes at operating temp. The low pressure has been verified by a gauge as well. That being said...all is well pressure wise running 20w50.

We run castrol or supertech 20w50 out to 5000m oci and UOA on both have shown great wear numbers and TBN retention. I can personally vouch for either of these oils.

I should also add that while his 3800 runs great, modern engines use oil for more than just lubrication. They use it for hydraulic actuators and some cases piston cooling. I would NOT recommend this grade of oil if your engine uses this technology

That being said I live in Northern Michigan and its very cold here more than half the year. The starter has a very hard time turning the engine over with that oil in there and as a result we have to replace his starter every couple of years. The car now has a tick over 200,000 miles on it though and is still running strong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 15w50. Sometimes it's available at Walmart in 5 quart jugs

If he wants a 50 grade oil that's what I'd be looking at.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
I would NOT be comfortable with his recommendations fwiw...but it looks like your mind is made up.

That being said my father has a 3800 series II that requires 50wt oil to keep oil pressure. The engine suffered from a hydro-lock after the intake failed early in its life (45k) doing damage to the lower end. With anything below 50wt oil, the low pressure light flashes at operating temp. The low pressure has been verified by a gauge as well. That being said...all is well pressure wise running 20w50.

We run castrol or supertech 20w50 out to 5000m oci and UOA on both have shown great wear numbers and TBN retention. I can personally vouch for either of these oils.

I should also add that while his 3800 runs great, modern engines use oil for more than just lubrication. They use it for hydraulic actuators and some cases piston cooling. I would NOT recommend this grade of oil if your engine uses this technology

That being said I live in Northern Michigan and its very cold here more than half the year. The starter has a very hard time turning the engine over with that oil in there and as a result we have to replace his starter every couple of years. The car now has a tick over 200,000 miles on it though and is still running strong.

It's not that my mind is made up. The engine has been together and running for a year, lol. I should have mentioned that in my first post. I've been using the valvoline conventional 20w50 since new. It runs good too, LS engines with cnc'd cylinder heads and a big cam is a powerful combo. But I digress.

I was just wandering if there was a better brand of oil in the 20w50 viscosity. I've been reading about brad penn oil, and also valvoline vr1

Id happily run Valvoline 20w50 if 50 was what i was after. Ive never seen a UOA of that weight but if you look at general Valvoline UOAs nothing out performs them in terms of wear numbers that I'm aware of. Its excellent oil across the board.

Johnny had told me Pennzoil conventional was the best 20W50. There's also Pennzoil GT 25W50 racing oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Johnny had told me Pennzoil conventional was the best 20W50. There's also Pennzoil GT 25W50 racing oil.

If you wanted a conventional 20w50 I'm betting Pennzoil would be hard to beat. It would certainly be loaded on the additives.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

X2
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back