Delvac1 ESP in vw 502 app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't 502 met by many traditional A3/B4 type lubes, such as M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 and the like? If so, there are plenty of certified options available. However, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, while not an ideal, certified lube, is within the realm of a reasonable choice, if going out of spec.

Well, it certainly will have all of that. It's a lower SAPS oil in comparison to something like M1 0w-40, but still significantly higher than the "real" low SAPS stuff, or even an ILSAC oil.

Looks to be a fairly stout oil, considering it's a lower saps oil. Not vw approved, but I'm inclined to think it's at least as good as 502 spec.

I know it was/is commonly used in some older TDIs, particularly where the claim was that the VW approved stuff wasn't doing the job, whatever that means. Up here, in such applications, its popularity would have been enhanced a few years back, when the only approved lubes readily available were GC and M1 0w-40, both in 1 litre bottles at astronomical prices.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I know it was/is commonly used in some older TDIs, particularly where the claim was that the VW approved stuff wasn't doing the job, whatever that means. Up here, in such applications, its popularity would have been enhanced a few years back, when the only approved lubes readily available were GC and M1 0w-40, both in 1 litre bottles at astronomical prices.

That situation was with the Pumpe-Duse TDI's, where many deemed the 505.01 oil was inadequate for cam wear.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Anyone have any thoughts? http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_ESP_5W-40.aspx

However, with the possibility of the M1 0w40 ESP coming, that might be my real choice.

Look at Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. Easier to find. the SAP's is slightly less at .9

I'll be trading in my 08 Passat 2.0T with 217,000 miles... with only 2 intake cleanings... using HDEO (mostly Shell Rotella T6) at the end of the month

If you want low SAPS, some C3 lubes qualify for VW502. However why not go for VW504? In Australia VW504 is mandatory for DI VW

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What will you be replacing it with?

a 2016 Tiguan.

when it hits 5000 miles, HDEO is going in.

504 doesn't seem to hold up well past 4-5k, and I'd like to go at least 5k.

UG...thank you. What did you run other than Rotella?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

a 2016 Tiguan.

Continuing with T6?

That situation was with the Pumpe-Duse TDI's, where many deemed the 505.01 oil was inadequate for cam wear.

Yep, that sounds like the issue I recalled.

BTLew81: If I were choosing between those three, I'd worry about cost first, and here, Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is the cheapest option. TDT isn't even a consideration since it's a retail product only and is always double the price.

a 2016 Tiguan.

Continuing with T6?

Probably going to start out with the expensive stuff.... Mobil 1 TDT.

Shell RT6 and Chevron Delo 400LE have a SAP's of 1.0, and costs $20-22 per gallon at Wally World.

iirc, TDT is about $26 per gallon.

a 2016 Tiguan.

Continuing with T6?

Probably going to start out with the expensive stuff.... Mobil 1 TDT.

Shell RT6 and Chevron Delo 400LE have a SAP's of 1.0, and costs $20-22 per gallon at Wally World.

iirc, TDT is about $26 per gallon.

Thanks. I can get ESP for 23/gal at my local farm store, so this is where I may start. Looks to be a pretty stout oil, although of those we have named in the thread, there isn't a bad one.

ESP has lower SA, good TBN, and should be lower noack than some other non hdeo options, hence my choice. Again, t6 and tdt are options are will consider if ESP is tough to find. Good conversation.

I can get ESP for 23/gal at my local farm store, so this is where I may start. Looks to be a pretty stout oil, although of those we have named in the thread, there isn't a bad one.

ESP has lower SA, good TBN, and should be lower noack than some other non hdeo options, hence my choice. Again, t6 and tdt are options are will consider if ESP is tough to find. Good conversation.

I used TDT for many years, until I discovered Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 at our local farm store, Mill's Fleet and Farm, for $24 a gallon. That's about $2 less than Walmart charges for TDT, and Delvac 1 is at least as good and probably better than TDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back