Strobing LED Daytime Running Lamps - Headache?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe something like a left to right, slow movement on LEDs for bikes, motorcycles, cars, etc. like the Galactica Ceylon Warrior eyes or Knight Rider's KITT front LEDs:
cylon_cellphone_screensaver_by_novastarx.gif

assuming slow movement, not too bright, would not be annoying (??)

Last edited:
Dealerships have historically offered this as a "safety value add", despite their illegality. The local Ford dealership used to do that -- I don't think it's done anymore, because I haven't seen a Ford with a strobing third brake lamp for some time now.

Seen a bunch of dummy's with jacked up trucks and LED Light bars on the front of the truck. Super bright blinding light all over the road.

That and a guy who replaced his DRL lights with a bulb that looked like blacklight, almost dark blue, putting out zero light.

The most recent was a jeep that the owner had put bright green "angel eye" rings around his headlights.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Seen a bunch of dummy's with jacked up trucks and LED Light bars on the front of the truck. Super bright blinding light all over the road.

That and a guy who replaced his DRL lights with a bulb that looked like blacklight, almost dark blue, putting out zero light.

The most recent was a jeep that the owner had put bright green "angel eye" rings around his headlights.

I guess the main point is to not get too bright or flashy. Maybe the blacklight DRLs you saw would be fine during the daytime just for something that glowed for attention, night-time use never, or at least maybe with Fog Lamps auxiliary they would be fine.

Maine specifically allowed flashing chmsls. Probably due to dealer pressure.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Federal law does not. I'm not sure a state can override it. Probably a moot point because this kind of stuff is rarely enforced, but...

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Strobing perhaps to ensure you trigger the traffic lights to turn green?
I don't understand how that would work. There was a guy (eventually caught) around here that had one of the fire truck's green-light activator radio transmitters, and he used it during rush hour and whenever he wanted to get all greens! True story.

Crazy. That Honda dealer around here installs it on every new car sold, and slaps on a $500 sticker price addition.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Federal law does not. I'm not sure a state can override it. Probably a moot point because this kind of stuff is rarely enforced, but...

Tell me about it. Colorado cops ignore marijuana federal laws completely, so why not flashing 3rd brake lights?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

It's probably a deal where the automakers can't "make" a car with flashing brake lights under NHTSA authority but the dealer can put a whatzit in under state equipment laws after the Certificate of Origin has been printed.

Who would enforce this, Federal Marshalls? Not sure they have jurisdiction.

PS I hate the gizmos.

It's probably a deal where the automakers can't "make" a car with flashing brake lights under NHTSA authority but the dealer can put a whatzit in under state equipment laws after the Certificate of Origin has been printed.

Who would enforce this, Federal Marshalls? Not sure they have jurisdiction.

PS I hate the gizmos.

Well, everything has to maintain compliance with FMVSS 108, whether it's new or used or whatever. It's not legal for a dealer to install one of these things, but enforcement is key. There's no roaming "lamp cop" looking for stuff like that. Every now and again, you'll see these illegal HID and LED retrofit companies nailed on something, despite their "off road use only!" proclamation, but it's a case where someone has brought it to the Feds' attention. They can't go out looking for it (lack of personnel, etc).

Volvo city buses used to come with a yellow rear caution light which flashed according to the amount of brake applied. Haven't seen one in a while. Perhaps they're all campers now. I've seen flashing head and tail lights on motorbikes but they are not OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back