'04 Ford Ranger 4.0L pinging 1800 to 2000 RPM/load

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ranger was pinging between 1800 and 2000 RPMs when under a moderate load. On the last oil change I decided to change the air filter and clean the mass airflow sensor. The pinging cleared up 100%.

I am not sure which contributed to the fix the most, the air filter or the mass airflow sensor.

Does anyone know?

Probably the sensor. I had a 2001 with all kinds of issues and changing the MAFS fixed everything (low mpg, rough idle, knocking under load, stalling with AC on, etc.)

I read the forums, took a wild guess and bought a reman MAFS from Napa for $85.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
The ranger was pinging between 1800 and 2000 RPMs when under a moderate load. On the last oil change I decided to change the air filter and clean the mass airflow sensor. The pinging cleared up 100%.

I am not sure which contributed to the fix the most, the air filter or the mass airflow sensor.

Does anyone know?

Don't know for a fact but based on my experience - cleaning the mass airflow sensor solved the same problem on my Aerostar. The engine also had a little more power after the cleaning.

I am amazed a how much better this engine runs. It has more low end torque and gets more done with less throttle input. It runs more like a large displacement V6 should run. I had previously thought this was combustion chamber deposits and getting ready to change the PCV valve and finally the EGR. There really is nothing in the maintenance schedule to say you should clean the MAF.
grin.gif
I bet people trade vehicles for lesser issues.

I will add this to the list of good things to do. Cost $22 and about 30 minutes.

Does anyone know?

Cleaning the sensor fixed it, common issue on Fords...

A dirty sensor leans mixture due to amount of air sensed is less than actual volume, that causes sluggish operation and sometimes pinging...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Does anyone know?

Cleaning the sensor fixed it, common issue on Fords...

A dirty sensor leans mixture due to amount of air sensed is less than actual volume, that causes sluggish operation and sometimes pinging...

There seemed to be a condition where combustion chamber deposits were building up. I would run the engine above 3000 RPMs for maybe 3 miles and the pinging would stop for as much as a week. So I have to agree, the air / fuel mix was off. I am at a loss as to how to diagnose this because the ECM is not producing codes.

The ECM is fat and happy, it's being fooled by incorrect info... Basically with dirty MAF it's calculating amount of fuel needed for correct A/F as if you were say in Denver vs Houston...

I seen CEL tripped with dirty MAF meter, but that's usually at higher elevation...

BTW AFAIK Ford has never acknowledged that meters can be cleaned, they just replace them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back