98 Chevy Truck Brake Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wolfehunter
So here it is a little over 2 years later and problem is back. I removed the sensors on each hub and cleaned up any corrosion on the area the sensor sits on which wasn't too bad. Reinstalled and still had the creeping problem and ABS coming on while braking un der 10 mph.

So I tested each of the sensors with a meter while having my kids spin the wheels. Passenger side I got over 400 ACmV's but driver's side would only read 210 ACmV's. Checked a few times and definitely a lower reading on that side spinning wheels as equally as we could. So I got a new AC Delco wheel speed sensor and put it on the driver's side tonight. No dice! I know I need to pull the wheel again and check with meter.

My question is if I get the lower reading again with the meter is it possible something is wrong inside the hub? I understand the sensor reads rings or a magnet of some sort inside the hub. Could that be the issue? Or how do I rule out the ABS Module or Brain itself? I have heard that is an expensive fix! Any help diagnosing is appreciated.

There is nothing really to go wrong inside a bearing. Short of obvious physical damage. As I said in my previous post, don't rule out a defective part. The last Delco sensor I put in lasted a year like yours and then started putting out too low of a voltage. In my case a replacement fixed it.

If there is no ABS light on and no codes stored, there more than likely isn't an issue with the unit. This is the only problem that won't set a code- and that's only because the ABS module doesn't see a circuit problem during it's self check and thinks that a wheel is locking.

If you're looking at replacing a bearing assembly, DO NOT CHEAP OUT! Timken or SKF would be my first choice. BCA a distant second.

I have the same year truck with the same mileage and my hub bearing and sensors are all original but I don't have any brake issues.

If you do get new hub bearing assemblies, I would go with Timken and is what I used on my 98 1 ton chevy truck.

I had to replace a rear wheel cylinder some years back and looking at the brake line going to the back of the truck, I'm going to have to replace it in the near future. I just had to replace the rear brake line on my 98 1 ton because it rusted through.

I would be interested in hearing what the problem ends up being in case I end up having problems.

Wayne

Update: Finally was able to get at checking the voltage on the new sensor on the driver's side and can only get 120 ACmV's out of it. Checked the passenger side and still getting over 400 ACmV's. Driver's side wheel has a lot of drag on it and doesn't spin very freely but spun it as fast as I could.

Anyway, I still had the old/new sensor (was replaced in Dec of 2013) so decided to hook it up to the passenger side wheel hub and surprise.....it reads over 400 ACmV's so that rules out a bad sensor.

There must be something up with that hub. The surface of the hub is clean and smooth just like the passenger side. It has got to be a problem with that wheel hub bearing assembly so I plan to replace it. It is the original. Is it ok to replace just one wheel bearing hub assembly or does it make more sense to just replace them both?

Not the problem you're having but I had a 98 Yukon that I put about 240,000 miles on.
I learned that the front brake calipers on those long sliding pin-bolt things would wear and make all sorts of noise as you drove. I went to purchase new bolts to swap out with new front pads. The counter guy at the auto parts store pointed out that the bolts were 11 dollars. A rebuilt caliper with brand new bolts was 14 dollars. I remember the rotors were even cheap enough to just replace instead of cut. It also kept everything quieter having a fat rotor inside the caliper.
Every spring I just did everything and always had great brakes even when the truck was getting older.

Update: Replaced the driver's side wheel bearing last evening with a Timken from Rockauto and it solved my ABS creeping brake problem. Thanks to all for the assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back