Check Your Tire Pressure After Getting Them R&B

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle used to own a full service gas station and a Uniroyal tire store/shop (within a 1/2 mile of each other) in Baton Rouge. Since his death 7 years ago his son sold the service station (which had eventually turned into a convenient store) but kept the tire store open.
When I was younger and going through my apprenticeship program I would work turn around's and shut downs. When I wasn't doing that I was working in the tire store and service station. I learned A LOT about tires and maintenance on tires, and cars in general.
One day me and some other tire jockeys had a race. I actually removed 4 tires from a vehicle, removed the tires, installed the new tires, balanced them, and had them back on the car, all in 24 minutes! One tech beat me with a time of 22 minutes.
frown.gif

I would advise people to by a good digital gauge (Milton or Craftsman) and USE IT!!!!

I always make a point of checking pressure exactly after getting new tires to establish a baseline to diagnose rim leaks, etc. It's really a pain if you have to add air every week in one or more tires if the rim is leaking. If you find a rim leak early it's easier to have it fixed properly.

My tire pressure is always low after any shop touches my tires. Factory rating on tires in one of my vehicles is 35. I keep them at 37-38. After a tire rotation or balance at National Tire & Battery, they're always down to 30 PSI. EVERY TIME.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
My tire pressure is always low after any shop touches my tires. Factory rating on tires in one of my vehicles is 35. I keep them at 37-38. After a tire rotation or balance at National Tire & Battery, they're always down to 30 PSI. EVERY TIME.

The tire shop I went to was actually an NTB as well. They used to be a Tire Kingdom but just recently changed to an NTB. They say they're supposed to be better than TK, but, it's all the same company......?????
21.gif

I don't mind the local tire shops messing up the air pressure. That's something I can easily fix myself. What I can't fix so easily is when they scuff and chip the painted wheels while mounting, dismounting, or balancing them.

Directional tires can't be rotated? I thought those are rotated front to back, and back to front on either side of the car (no crossing sides).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back