Weird Issue with Windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
rand new Passat. Had some rain today and instead of beading up, the rain seemed to sheet or almost smear. I took some 205 to it by hand when I got home, but upon using some Meg's glass cleaner, it still seemed to smear and had a rainbow effect.

I know it's nothing major, but any insight or a cure? I've considered polishing it lightly with a white pad this weekend, but would love your feedback/insight.

I would use isopropyl alcohol to wipe the blades clean and even wipe the windshield down with it. Sounds like some kind of petroleum product got on it, probably from some oil or gas on the road. Not common but does happen.

Clay it - just like your paint. In fact , do it twice. Then wax it - just like your paint. A warm garage would help if possible.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
rand new Passat. Had some rain today and instead of beading up, the rain seemed to sheet or almost smear. I took some 205 to it by hand when I got home, but upon using some Meg's glass cleaner, it still seemed to smear and had a rainbow effect.

I know it's nothing major, but any insight or a cure? I've considered polishing it lightly with a white pad this weekend, but would love your feedback/insight.

I had the exact same thing happen over time and with the addition of a "anti-bug rain treatment containing windshield wash".. Horrible.

I got new blades, washed the glass with vinegar, then Invisible Glass aerosol, the alcohol , then Invisible glass. Got most of it.

Wait is the glass clear otherwise?

I'll take sheeting over beading any day because etched water spots are the devil.

You might try some barkeepers friend and a microfiber applicator pad to work off any buildup on the glass.

There are many good suggestions here. If I were you, I'd also try Rain-X X-treme Clean. It's not cheap, but takes darned near everything off the glass, including Rain-X itself and Rejex. I wish I knew about the product years ago.

Wash the window and then use some detail clay. That will take everything off.

I had to clay my windshield as I had the same issue on my Jetta. I drove without anything for a few months and then I added a coat of Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant and it helped to make bug bombs just wipe off!

All good suggestions. I favor the alchol wipe of the glass as that really cleans well. Perhaps you went thru a car wash and its their wax or some other treatment. Otherwise - some oil mist from the road sounds possible.

I used Simple Green spray with success. It is a degreaser so it will strip wax. Also, any runoff could loosen rustproofing as it travels down the cowl (okay, kind of a stretch, but if I don't say it someone else will) . Use sparingly. Simple Green spray takes off thick oil and fuel spewed from trucks quite well.

When I encounter a windshield that has an issue like you describe, I like to scrub it with Bon Ami cleanser with a sponge and a little water. After rinsing and drying, a coating of Klasse AIO (or other paint sealant) will cause the water to bead on it.

agree to try first with the SIMPLE solutions, e.g. soap and water, not a boutique polish.

Personally, I'd hit it with dawn soap first. For windows, my first stage to go to is a mr. clean magic eraser. then i do clay before window treatment.
Use what you have around first, before going out to buy something else though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back