Snow plows and blocking streets

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we began the process of digging ourselves out after the weekend storm. Hats off to the snow plows out there day & night cleaning up the roads. I wish, though, they'd be more mindful of street entrances. Where our street meets the main road is basically blocked off by the snow piles made by the trucks. This morning wasn't that bad so I was able to power through with my cars but it's nearly impassable now.

End rant.

Yep, they'll clear all blockages eventually. We've been buried so bad we had to wait for those giant snowblower trucks or front-end loaders to dig the roads out.

So how would the trucks do anything differently, keeping in mind that cleaning the main roads as fast as possible is priority number one?

Rounding corners and backing back out is not a recipe for a fast cleanout. Turning plows to the middle at every street doesn't work either.

Either be patient for them to get to the side streets or clean it out yourself!

They DON'T have time for that... I am not disagreeing with your aggervation about it to a degree. I faced that just last night at my place. I just made another way around it. That having been stated.. . I am better and wiser to go buy a snow shovel and have it in my car just in case I run into this in the future. I will help myself but also my neighbors.

It's not like they have the time to clear out every side street easement or driveway. People who get mad about their driveways with snow piled up at the end of them need to think about the astronomical amount of time it would take the state to clear EVERY driveway entrance. It would a long time before they would ever be done. Not realistic.

We were just joking about that at work. The one guy goes home for lunch. He was laughing about how his driveway got plowed in over the morning. The plows get loaded up with snow, and then it all sluices off in the driveways.

That's life!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They'll come back for that.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Never happen. I've had countless driveway end ice-walls built by County and State plows (depending where I lived at the time), never once did one come back to deal with it.

The best I can hope for is to be home and deal with it before it freezes solid.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If your rural mailbox is still there after the plows are done consider yourself lucky.

+1
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They'll come back for that. Arterials take priority.

That's what they do here. In big snowfalls they plow 24/7, lots of overtime pay.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You can't pick up a shovel or get out your snowblower and help?

They use a bunch of salt on roads so these banks turn into ice blocks. There are just too many roads to keep up with so main routes are prioritized and tertiary roads get blocked.

This kind of weather is what partially pushed me towards driving an SUV/higher clearance vehicle. You can actually move about after larger snow amounts even on all-seasons. Winter tires on cars do not offer much in deep snow or snow banks left about.

I live on a rural road. The township clears the snow but seldom clears out the drives. Not as bad as when the snow plow driver also had his own snow removal business though.
smile.gif

My mail box is the main issue. They would leave a big pile in front of it and never clear it out. So I put the mail box on a long 6' pipe. I can just go out with an allen wrench and loosen the set screw and push it out to clear the snow bank. Sooner or later they come clear it out as the mail box will be sticking out into the road.

If you've got a snowblower, and clear your driveway before the plow is out, try blowing away all the snow that the plow would push into your driveway before it get there.
I do this with my tractor at the end our driveway and it works quite well. I also push back the upstream snow back each time too.

I don't think anyone said they would come back and clean out the end of your driveway.

The OP wasn't happy that the plowing from the main road put a snow bank into the end of his side street.

That they do come back to clean the side streets out (assuming they plow the side streets).

My issue is with the privately owned plows. I've almost been backed into about 5 times so far if it wasn't for the horn. They just don't seem to look when backing out of driveways they are plowing. I've also come around blind corners to find them driving on the wrong side of the road towards me so they can get to the next driveway.

The town and state guys seem to be a lot better, at least the ones I've encountered.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
My issue is with the privately owned plows. I've almost been backed into about 5 times so far if it wasn't for the horn. They just don't seem to look when backing out of driveways they are plowing. I've also come around blind corners to find them driving on the wrong side of the road towards me so they can get to the next driveway.

The town and state guys seem to be a lot better, at least the ones I've encountered.

That's the difference between being paid by the job, and being paid by the hour.

On top of that, driving a truck with the City/County/State logo on it means answering to a city council/ county board/ etc... Not to mention you'd need to be nearly blind to miss all the blinking LED's we stick on everything now...

Driving a private plow with no logos and or working for yourself means you can do lots of dumb things and not have to answer for them...

Trucks came through and cleaned up everything. Much respect to plow drivers.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
They DON'T have time for that... I am not disagreeing with your aggervation about it to a degree. I faced that just last night at my place. I just made another way around it. That having been stated.. . I am better and wiser to go buy a snow shovel and have it in my car just in case I run into this in the future. I will help myself but also my neighbors.

It's not like they have the time to clear out every side street easement or driveway. People who get mad about their driveways with snow piled up at the end of them need to think about the astronomical amount of time it would take the state to clear EVERY driveway entrance. It would a long time before they would ever be done. Not realistic.

I'm in Cleveland...we get Lake effect snow...last year we got 10 feet> ...our plow drivers keep things really clean in my town. You guys are just out of your league when it comes to snowfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back