2012 Civic Engine Mount Oil Seepage - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 2012 Civic 1.8L with about 76,000 miles.

I have maintained this car meticulously since new. At the most recent service, I noticed that there was a small amount of fluid seepage from the side engine mount. All of the other mounts were inspected and were found to be OK. I did notice a small amount of vibration at idle and a small drone-like-noise, but nothing that would cause you to go hunting for a culprit.

Oil Seepage:

2012 Civic Engine Mount by The Critic, on Flickr

Possible mount saggage:

2012 Civic Side Motor Mount Saggage by The Critic, on Flickr

The last generation Civic (06-11) had some side mount issues, but I thought they have been resolved. Perhaps not?

I am recommending engine mount replacement to the owner due to the oil seepage. It is not very much, but It think that any hydraulic fluid leakage is indicative of failure. What do you guys think?

Yep. Leaking fluid = bad. It's possible other bad mount(s) could have contributed. So check them all if you can.

Beck Arnley may offer a non-hydraulic version that will last longer. At the expense of a little more vibration of course.

If its still under warranty then it's obvious what to do
If not, look for an uprated mount, ie solid rubber, or w/poly inserts - tougher lasts longer which seems important when the factory parts fail after 3 or 4 years..

Whatever happened to good old fashioned motor mounts? Engines got by just fine with them. A bit of vibration seems like a fair trade off.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
does any other maker use hydraulic, I think some are electric also.

seems like solutions looking for problems. more cost, but only 1% better

Exactly, and they don't appear to last as long either.

This is a common failure for Honda mounts, OE only, there is no aftermarket alternative that is any good.
I had a B&A last 500 miles before the vibration returned. If it has an electrical connector going to it the cost can skyrocket.
Change it before it totally fails and takes the other mounts out with it. Vibration is the first sign of one failing.

does any other maker use hydraulic, I think some are electric also.

seems like solutions looking for problems. more cost, but only 1% better

Hydraulic engine mounts are extremely common in the industry. GM's been using them since the 1980s. Relevant thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2941903

Our MDX's front engine mount is vacuum-operated (and probably oil-filled, too). There's a vacuum line running from the intake manifold down to that mount. Our RL's front engine mount is not vacuum-operated. I don't know if there are other reasons why the MDX's engine should be smoother, but I can feel a difference. They're 60 degree Honda V-6s, so trying to tell a difference in smoothness is like trying to determine if Carlos Slim has more money than Bill Gates. Still, you can feel the engine just a little less in the MDX.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I had a B&A last 500 miles before the vibration returned.

You probably had some other mounts that were bad/weak.

does any other maker use hydraulic

lol you just get unfrozen or something? almost every maker has been using hydraulic mounts since the 80s

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: Trav

I had a B&A last 500 miles before the vibration returned.

You probably had some other mounts that were bad/weak.

All the other mounts were fine. The big $$$ OE mount I put in after it is still working fine.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Whatever happened to good old fashioned motor mounts? Engines got by just fine with them. A bit of vibration seems like a fair trade off.
27.gif

Exactly, these hydraulic mounts start to fail at around 100k
if not sooner. Not only that if you get a manual transmission the drive train lash is obvious with these mushy mounts. I hate them, I had a 84 Rabbit GTI and while there was a little more vibration than my newer 96 Golf (with fluid mounts) it wasn't annoying in any way.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
does any other maker use hydraulic

lol you just get unfrozen or something? almost every maker has been using hydraulic mounts since the 80s

haha. Had that junk on my Cadillac, replaced with Poly mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back