Any suggestions for 0W20 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This grade of oil seems so thin but is what the new car calls for. Does anyone here have any experience with these oils or scientific analysis of any that stand out from the rest?

I have already been told to use the Mobil 1 product for the combination of price vs. quality. Any others that you would suggest?

Last edited:
M1 EP is known for having a lot of group 4 base in it (like somewhere in the 65% range). Given group 3 oils are very solid choices, especially the GTL base oils in Penzoil Platinum product. But dollar for dollar it's hard to beat the M1 EP 0w-20.

I saw a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart for $23 so that probably can't be beat.

The new car is a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi Mirage that my girlfriend just bought. It only takes 3 quarts of oil! This is one you really want to watch in case it starts burning or leaking oil. There isn't a lot of margin for error.

In that small overworked engine, I'd run 0W-20 in the cold winters and 5W-30 in the hot summer.

Im running PP 0w20 in my malibu and i like it. Thinking bout switching it up 2 mobil1 AFE or EP next OC. Just keep an eye on the oil level with tht small of a sump. And i wouldn't do long oil change intervals with a sump tht small.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Mobil 1, PP, Castrol edge or magnatec.

Pick one and stick with it for a few changes.

We're running 0w20 Magnatec in an 08 Mazda CX-9 as a "winter fill" and like it. We'll have an UOA doe in another 3k miles.

Redline 0W-20, from Amazon.com.

High moly, it's an amazing product, and it's technically the thinnest 0W-30 around. All goodness.

And yes, I have used this is previous as well as present vehicles.. either standalone, or in a mix, depending on my budget, as well as application (manufacturer suggested thickness, or HTHS, of oil.)

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
M1 EP is known for having a lot of group 4 base in it (like somewhere in the 65% range). Given group 3 oils are very solid choices, especially the GTL base oils in Penzoil Platinum product. But dollar for dollar it's hard to beat the M1 EP 0w-20.

M1 0-20 AFE is not a grp 3 oil either, which is what I have used in both Fords. Both engines are very clean, run smooth, use no oil between 10K OCIs, and still show no signs of engine wear.

Originally Posted By: tig1

M1 0-20 AFE is not a grp 3 oil either, which is what I have used in both Fords. Both engines are very clean, run smooth, use no oil between 10K OCIs, and still show no signs of engine wear.

M1 0-20 AFE is a group 4?

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

M1 0-20 AFE is a group 4?

Mobil tech told me that, however most all quality synthetic oils are a blend of base stocks, so grp 4 doesn't mean what it used to be. The blended base stocks, IMO, are superior to the all PAO oils of yesteryear. At least that is my experience. Even Amsoil is not straight PAO.

I think M1 0w20 AFE is 30-40% Group 4, but that was from a thread here and I've never seen it from ExxonMobil.

M1 0w20 EP is 60-70% Group 4, according to the data sheets from ExxonMobil. Which makes sense because the pour point is crazy low, around -65C I think which is a good indicator of base oil.

IF you believe the MSDS for the two products, 0w-20 EP is 60-70% type 4 while 0w-20 AFE is 30-40% type 4 and 30-40% type 3. Both are great oils but if they both cost the same $$$, which they often do in 5 qt jugs, why not get the one with a higher type 4 content and a stronger additive package?

IF you believe the MSDS for the two products, 0w-20 EP is 60-70% type 4 while 0w-20 AFE is 30-40% type 4 and 30-40% type 3. Both are great oils but if they both cost the same $$$, which they often do in 5 qt jugs, why not get the one with a higher type 4 content and a stronger additive package?

0-20AFE also has some esters. 0-20 EP does as well.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
I think M1 0w20 AFE is 30-40% Group 4, but that was from a thread here and I've never seen it from ExxonMobil.

M1 0w20 EP is 60-70% Group 4, according to the data sheets from ExxonMobil. Which makes sense because the pour point is crazy low, around -65C I think which is a good indicator of base oil.

According to the M1 site M1 0-20 EP has a PP of -54C. Can't find the PP for 0-20AFE, but the PP for 0-30AFE is -50, so it stands to reason that the 0-20AFE has a PP equal to EP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back