Considering 7.5k intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people don't actually. Many still do 3k or 5k miles. It's not a one size fits all affair. Though you are correct in that 7500 is a very doable with current oils and motors. Just dependant upon circumstances in which the vehicles are operated in.

A filter you might want to consider, and I have encountered owners of that engine using on Jeep forums, is the Motorcraft FL-400s. I use it now on our Lexus for 7.5k OCIs. Widely available, well-built, cheap, stout. I like it better than the Wix I had been using, and it is 1/2 the cost of them since their prices have skyrocketed.

I think you are wise with the 10w-30. I am using M1 HM 10w-30 in that car and it has greatly reduced oil consumption. I was using 5w-30 PP - it used about 1qt/7.5k. I would use about 0.5qt with M1 HM 5w-30. With the 10w-30 M1 HM, it has used 0 in the last 2.5k (250k on vehicle). My climate does not need the 5w.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
A filter you might want to consider, and I have encountered owners of that engine using on Jeep forums, is the Motorcraft FL-400s. I use it now on our Lexus for 7.5k OCIs. Widely available, well-built, cheap, stout. I like it better than the Wix I had been using, and it is 1/2 the cost of them since their prices have skyrocketed.

I think you are wise with the 10w-30. I am using M1 HM 10w-30 in that car and it has greatly reduced oil consumption. I was using 5w-30 PP - it used about 1qt/7.5k. I would use about 0.5qt with M1 HM 5w-30. With the 10w-30 M1 HM, it has used 0 in the last 2.5k (250k on vehicle). My climate does not need the 5w.

I ditto this. I use the FL400S on a bunch of toyotas and fords. Never a leak or startup rattle. Can't beat them for the money.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
BTW the OM states 7.5K normal operation, no syn mentioned (my 95 anyway)

Wow this is news to me.

I wonder why they backed off to 6k for my generation then?

My 90's Honda states 7,500 on the Airbox, but I'm not quite sure an oil was good enough for that back then.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
BTW the OM states 7.5K normal operation, no syn mentioned (my 95 anyway)

Wow this is news to me.

I wonder why they backed off to 6k for my generation then?

Metallurgy?

I would just run it to 7500 and get a UOA.

Trying diff filters is a good idea too as Merkava said..im surprised he didnt say its cuz oil is too thin and that a 20w50 would work better lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SOHCman
My 90's Honda states 7,500 on the Airbox, but I'm not quite sure an oil was good enough for that back then.

You're right. Honda obviously didn't bother testing the current API grade of the time.

7,500 miles should be fine.

I maintain my grandfather's 1996 Jeep Cherokee and it gets maybe around 2,500 miles a year. I usually do a yearly oil change.

The next oil change I'll be using Mobil 1 HM 10w40 and see how it does. I personally haven't noticed a difference in engine noise with the 5w30 synthetic or the 10w40 MaxLife I've used in it.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Some people still don't do 7500K intervals?

We've been doing 7500-mile oil changes on our 96' Crown Victoria,which currrently has 305,xxx miles using Trop Artic 5w30.

Too many of you sit around worrying about too much,7500 is nothing!

I think it depends a LOT on your usage. A guy at work has been changing the oil on his daughters 2006 G6 at the old school 3,000 miles. When I asked him he said that the OLM was usually at the 25%-30% mark when he changed.

Going 7,500 would be a very bad idea for that car since all it does is go a couple miles to school, lunch, then back home.

Just depends...

Get a UOA and see why the engine is getting quieter as the oil ages. Either the oil is getting thicker or thinner. A UOA will show which it is and determine what might quiet the engine down from the get go.

Pennzoil gold bottle is 50% synthetic or T5 if you want something more stout in a blend would be another option. Both will go 7500 miles, of course. Personally, I'd lean toward the T5 Rotella.

Fram Ultra could be run two oci's if you want to push it to it's advertised limit.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Before mine got a serious case of piston slap - it ran quiet on 5w-20 (or a mix of 5w-20 and 5w-30, mostly 5w-20)

Wow. That is way to thin for a 4.0 IMO.

Did you get a UOA done?

I would like to some time ... but now that the engine has a serious knock (not caused by the light oil, it's a 2000 so it broke a piston) I won't be because the numbers are going to be way off with the aluminum piston scraping the iron wall

You're right. Honda obviously didn't bother testing the current API grade of the time.

Thank you for your intelligent comment, what would we do without witty people like you contributing.

Thank you for your intelligent comment, what would we do without witty people like you contributing.

You think Honda spec'd an oil change interval for oil that didn't exist. Tell me who's not being intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back