Considering a newer car... Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, been recently thinking about upgrading from my Yaris. Nothing really wrong with the car, but would like an upgrade after about 6 years with this car. Things like cruise and bluetooth would be nice. And more power. I'm open to other options as well, and experiences with any cars/related would be really appreciated. Trying to keep it under 23,000 or so.

Some options I've been considering:(not in any real order)
Scion FRS/BRZ (used)
Mazda 3 (new or used)
Hyundai Veloster (Turbo?) (new or used)
Kia Forte Koup (new or used)
Ford Fiesta ST (new or used)

Or some other options. I prefer smaller/lighter cars, and am not super concerned about having more than 2 usable seats.

Thanks!

Doesn't the new Yaris have cruise and BT?

How about the Fit? Since you like small/lighter cars, you gotta consider the 2 and Mirage. The Scion iM is probably worth consideration, too.

The Veloster is nice. If you can't decide between a 2-door or a 4-door, get a 3-door
banana2.gif

Did you consider a used 370 or Genesis coupe? Ok they're not exactly light (3200 lbs) but they have more power than all of those cars above.

$100-150 and buy a mechless head unit and upgraded speakers.

might even be able to plug in a junkyard steering wheel cruise control stalk. works for 05+ corollas.

Being that I owned a WRX which was a great car, there'd be NO WAY I'd buy a FR-S/BRZ.
It's embarrassing that Toyota sells a sports car that is slower than a V6 Camry.
FR-S stands for "Fun but really slow".

You can get VW Jetta's for a steal, especially if you buy used. If you get one with the turbo (90% of them are) they are quite peppy and fun to drive, all while getting exceptional fuel economy. I drove my GF's 2014 Jetta SE 1.4TSI recently and hit 40 MPG. Other considerations are the new Civic or a used Civic SI, and the Accord sport (I know not small but they are nimble). Not sure how long you plan on keeping it so If reliability is NOT a factor then just test drive them all and get the one that you like driving the best.

Does not mean to criticize since this is your money.

Do you know you can spend less than $200 to get an interface that can modify the existing audio system to have BT capability.
May be it is not as fancy but those capabilty that comes with new cars can break also.

OP, you put on a lot of miles it looks like. I'd suggest narrowing it down to those that get near 40mpg or better.
Turbos, while fun, usually don't pen out as economical for commuting and high miles.

Throwing in a plug for the last-gen Cruze Eco 6MT. It's small enough to be fun and big enough to have a comfy highway ride. MPG's are also excellent, even when flogging it. The chassis also handles pretty well, even on the stock LRR tires.

of your original list, I would choose the FRS/BRZ, the Ford, or the Mazda. also worth considering is the Honda Civic Si, and perhaps a VW GTI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back