2012 Buick Regal 2.4L 7818mi Castrol Edge GC 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it looks like switching to GC from Pennzoil Platinum didn't help wear metals at all in the DI Ecotec. The slightly thicker oil and Group IV didn't stop whatever is shedding iron in this engine, and has been since it was new. Oil was changed with more GC.

Regal.jpg

Last edited:
Iron levels are really odd compared to universal averages.

You do seem to be experiencing quite a bit of fuel dilution as illustrated by low flashpoint though. Not sure that's related to your iron levels though.

Are you following the OLM?

Following because my wife has one of these time bomb Ecotecs in her 2012 Equinox. (LEA)

I was considering trying GC next time around but looks like it may not be worth it. I'm about to send in a sample of 5w30 Carquest Synthetic that's been run for ~3800mi.

What other oil(s) are you considering trying in the future?

Last edited:
It's winter time and it's probably seen a ton of idle time. Aluminum is trending down and the motor is probably still breaking in. Relax, it will be fine. Likely, any 5W-30 full synthetic will do just as well at 7500 OCI, even SuperTech.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
It's winter time and it's probably seen a ton of idle time. Aluminum is trending down and the motor is probably still breaking in. Relax, it will be fine. Likely, any 5W-30 full synthetic will do just as well at 7500 OCI, even SuperTech.

45K miles and it's still breaking in??? Hardly.

Have you considered a shorter OCI (4K maybe) just to see if it lowers the iron ppm/mile? GM recalibrated the IOLM on its V6 DI engines a couple years ago because of timing chain wear; maybe they're too optimistic on the 4 cylinders as well.

I think maybe I'll try Mobil 1 5W-30 next, it's a pretty think 5w-30. I've been following the OLM and changing when it's in single digits. The car sees pretty light duty as it's my mother's car and it's mostly around town/rural driving.

"This is the only wear metal that accurately and linearly increases with the length of time the oil has been in service. It has many sources inside of an engine, most commonly coming from cylinder liners, camshaft lobes, crankshaft journals, and oil pumps."

I think this is building a case to trade that thing in. Sorry
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
"This is the only wear metal that accurately and linearly increases with the length of time the oil has been in service. It has many sources inside of an engine, most commonly coming from cylinder liners, camshaft lobes, crankshaft journals, and oil pumps."

frown.gif

What about the BITOG conventional wisdom that "A UOA is only useful for assessing the condition of the oil, not the condition of the engine"?

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

frown.gif

What about the BITOG conventional wisdom that "A UOA is only useful for assessing the condition of the oil, not the condition of the engine"?

Disclaimer: I am not by any stretch an "experienced BITOG'er," but I'd call B-S to a certain extent on this.

Yes - the UOA tells us (*SOME*) of what is in the used oil, some additives, wear metals and the remaining detergent if requested.

It can also tell us of the presence of coolant, fuel and/or silicon.
If the former two are present, then it wouldn't be out of line to suggest something may be very wrong with the engine, i.e. Head-gaskets/head cracks, excessive blow-by, very rich running.
Silicon tells us if there are filtration issues or air leaks introducing unmetered air in the engine, and thus inducing higher wear. On a modern engine - air leaks of this sort may cause a CEL or problematic idling/starting, so its not as if the owner/driver would be completely oblivious to this.

Obviously if the wear metals come back reading extraordinarily high - then either the testing equipment was bad OR something is causing excessive wear in the engine, and that is ending up in the oil.

All in all, I'd say the UOA is appropriate for determining issues like HG leaks, rich running (one should be able to smell this) or air leaks.
After that, major wearing issues. What it can't tell you is wear the wear is occurring specifically and whether or not its a problem NOW, or if the engine is very sturdy and will last another 100K!

The other thing I'd say is if the oil is jet-black after a short interval - well, it must be picking up something along the way, and the UOA can reveal whether whats happened to the oil with your engine is inline with their averages or not.

By the way - BITOG experts are free to correct me on ANY of this if I'm out of line. I read a lot of older posts here, and what is written above is, perhaps, something of a summation.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: bigt61

45K miles and it's still breaking in??? Hardly.

Yeah, I used to think the same way. But I think it's taking motors longer to fully break-in with today's better oils - both factory fills, and the immediate switch to synthetic after the factory fill. 30 years ago - 15 or 20k and break-in was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back