Suabru Dealer put in PEAK 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife had the 30K service done by AutoFair Subaru in Plaistow, NH ( as Ive been too busy to service her car) and they used bulk 0w20 PEAK not Subaru Genuine Idemitsu. Not saying I favour one over the other but for 90 bucks for 5 qts + filter - YOW! OUCH!

I won't say any thing about them charging 70 bucks for changing the cabin filter ... Oh I just did
frown.gif

Anyone ever run this stuff on the 0w20?

$90.for a oil change using bulk Peak? Wow!
Did you enjoy your introduction to Ben Dover?

Peak is Warren PP so it is not bad... but for the price, I would complain. That is $16 per Qt assuming a $10 filter. Heck, even assuming that a $50 syn oil change is high, the $40 mark-up is ridiculously expensive.

Yeah, I had a Honda dealer pull the same stunt on my wife's car a few years ago. $84 for Castrol Synblend. They lot my business and I still tell people to avoid Appletree Honda to this day... avoid Appletree Honda.

That is a tad steep. At another dealer (Exeter) I was offered a $70 synthetic change on my 2005 Legacy GT wagon but declined and went for $35ish conventional when car was in for recall work.

I'm on my second late model Subaru that recommends 0w20 at a 6000mi oil change interval. There's no way I'd pay $90 for a 6K mile OCI. I run 0w20 Napa synthetic when I can get it for ~3-4/qt. Other than that I'll run regular 5w20. No particular brand.

My local toyota dealer uses o'reilly bulk oil. I see them deliver it there all the time along with other parts.

Dealers don't use oem parts these days. You're paying that premium for nothing.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Dealers make most profit from parts and services, used car is second, new car is third, last is a new car with trade in.

Fixed for ya

Next time, buy your own Mobil 1 or Pennzoil 0W-20 synthetic oil for $25.00; purchase the OEM Oil Filter for $8.00 at the dealer and pay the $15.00 - $20.00 labor for the LOF.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Peak is Warren PP so it is not bad... but for the price, I would complain. That is $16 per Qt assuming a $10 filter. Heck, even assuming that a $50 syn oil change is high, the $40 mark-up is ridiculously expensive.

Yeah, I had a Honda dealer pull the same stunt on my wife's car a few years ago. $84 for Castrol Synblend. They lot my business and I still tell people to avoid Appletree Honda to this day... avoid Appletree Honda.

Nah, if it's itemized t'd be written up as parts: $4/quart, filter $5. Labor is $45.

I find that my car runs best and most economical when I'm the only one working on it. Of course, I'm Nazi enough to believe that oil changes and brake pad services should be incorporated into a drivers license test.

Last time I went to a dealer (stealership) for service, I was out of town on business, my wife called me and told me she had a brake light out. I told her to take it to the dealer where we had already spent several thousand dollars that year. They charged her $45 to replace a brake light bulb. Two thumb screws and a twist out fixture and push in bulb. If the trunk is already open and I have a spare bulb in my hand, I can do this in about the same amount of time it takes you to read this.

Needless to say, we have NOT been back to Jim Butler Chevrolet in St. Louis.

What this has to do with the OP is that a rip-off is a rip-off, and most dealers I've dealt with are professionals in this department. Every time we went in for a basic service such as an oil change; they would give us a 4 page list of $800-1,000 of OTHER work they claimed was needed. I came to understand that THEIR favorite location for my car was on their lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back