Late model nissan frontier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to hear thoughts and experience on the 2015-2016 nissan crew cab v6. Seems like a real good truck for the money.

Other than it is seriously overdue for a refresh?

Of course, it should be the cheapest to buy, because of that.

They're pretty good trucks. Long in the tooth but solid. Cheaper than a Taco.

My dad had a '10 and it liked to chew front tires. Don't know if they fixed that or considered it a characteristic of the design.

I have an '08 with 160K miles. With the exception of the whole timing chain tensioner issue, which was fixed in later models, it's been a solid truck. I've not had any tire issues - I do 60K between sets like clockwork. Gas mileage is not a strong point, but on the other hand you are buying a V6 truck. It's not going to be.

It is long in the tooth, but I can also make a counterargument that it's a pretty well proven package. And they have updated the truck over the years, so it's not like you are getting the '05 model or anything. It depends if you need the latest and greatest or not.

I'm personally holding on to mine till the new body style Frontier comes out, or 200K. Whatever comes first. That's anyone's guess at this point.

Last edited:
They're great trucks, just avoid the 4 cylinder and get the 6.

I've never seen one be hard on the tires, maybe the previous poster never found a good alignment shop. The 1998-2004 2wd with standard height suspension fall out of alignment embarrassingly easily, but the ones with tall suspension and all from 2005 onward have really tough suspension.

Great little truck for the price. 4.0 liter VQ40 is a rock solid engine. Same engine as the xterra. Owned an xterra for 10 yrs with this engine and the only issue was the slight timing chain guide "whine". Sold it and replaced it with the Frontier with no regrets.

Had the 4.0L VQ also in an Xterra. Bullet proof. Drinks gas like no other, however. If you don't mind that the style is largely 11 years old, don't look back.

I stopped by a dealership yesterday to look at a 2016 Frontier. I was surprised how much I liked it. The main thing that got me looking at the Frontier is its size. All the other pickups on the market are larger than I want.

Question. Which engine would you recommend? The truck will only carry light loads, and will regularly tow about 1000-1500 pounds. Also, I am interested in durability because I keep my vehicles for a long time. Thank you for your experience and advice!

Originally Posted By: Wingman
I stopped by a dealership yesterday to look at a 2016 Frontier. I was surprised how much I liked it. The main thing that got me looking at the Frontier is its size. All the other pickups on the market are larger than I want.

Question. Which engine would you recommend? The truck will only carry light loads, and will regularly tow about 1000-1500 pounds. Also, I am interested in durability because I keep my vehicles for a long time. Thank you for your experience and advice!

I'm pretty sure you can only get 4wd with the V6. For light towing I'd think the 4cyl would be fine though if 2wd is all you need.

If your intended use includes "regularly towing" anything, I'd get the V-6 engine 8 days a week! Especially if you live in the northern half of Arkansas with rolling hills and such.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

If your intended use includes "regularly towing" anything, I'd get the V-6 engine 8 days a week! Especially if you live in the northern half of Arkansas with rolling hills and such.

21.gif
I just towed ~1500lbs with the CRV this weekend and it was fine. If I was doing it everyday I'd get a different vehicle, but for a couple times a month I wouldn't bother. We have hills but they are typically short enough that running at 3500 rpm for a minute or two isn't a big deal.
Towing 3k lbs would probably get annoying with the 4 cyl Frontier, but wouldn't hurt anything either.

I really like my Frontier. It's a 4 cylinder which means 2WD and King Cab only. I live in a hilly area and I can climb most grades in 5th no problem. My fuel economy is much better than the V6 models and towing 1500 lbs with it is easy. I expect to keep it 20 years as there is little problem with rust out here.

I once loaded the truck to it's max GVW and put a 2300 lb trailer behind it. I wouldn't do that regularly in hilly areas, but it moved along fine and appears no worse for wear having carried that load over 600 miles from central California to SW Washington. There are long steep grades on that route and I wasn't always able to maintain the speed limit, but I got better fuel economy doing that than a lot of V6s seem to do in average driving.

I do wish I had tilt steering so I could get the wheel up a little and see the high beam indicator and such more easily, but that would have required the SV trim level. I got my S trim level model $800 under invoice. I bolted on a U-Haul hitch and installed the Nissan trailer wiring package myself. Now I'm waiting on my CabHi SnugTop.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
I really like my Frontier. It's a 4 cylinder which means 2WD and King Cab only. I live in a hilly area and I can climb most grades in 5th no problem. My fuel economy is much better than the V6 models and towing 1500 lbs with it is easy. I expect to keep it 20 years as there is little problem with rust out here.

I once loaded the truck to it's max GVW and put a 2300 lb trailer behind it. I wouldn't do that regularly in hilly areas, but it moved along fine and appears no worse for wear having carried that load over 600 miles from central California to SW Washington. There are long steep grades on that route and I wasn't always able to maintain the speed limit, but I got better fuel economy doing that than a lot of V6s seem to do in average driving.

I do wish I had tilt steering so I could get the wheel up a little and see the high beam indicator and such more easily, but that would have required the SV trim level. I got my S trim level model $800 under invoice. I bolted on a U-Haul hitch and installed the Nissan trailer wiring package myself. Now I'm waiting on my CabHi SnugTop.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay OTD for that configuration?

I paid $19,200 for my manual transmission, 2.5L 4 cylinder Frontier S with the preferred package. That package includes AC, radio with CD player and cruise control. Maybe a couple other small things, but no power windows or locks. I also got floor mats, splash guards/mud flaps, and a drop-in bed liner. License and title were extra. No sales tax in Oregon. The automatic trans 2.5L trucks already come with the preferred package which is why their base price is higher.

I'm closing on on 18k miles and it's been trouble free except the driver's window binding up once or twice. It worked itself free before I could get it to the dealer. Flawless performance otherwise. I did change the gearbox oils at 7500 miles and there was quite a bit of fuzz on the magnetic drain plugs. With RedLine MT85 in the trans and it now feeling fully broken in it shifts great.

My thread on the gearbox oil change: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3812914/2015_Nissan_Frontier,_Rear_axl#Post3812914

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
They seem to be durable little trucks.

I wish mine were slightly smaller actually! Or at least lower like 2WD Dodge Dakotas were lower than the 4x4s. All the Frontiers are built tall.

All modern trucks are to tall, they are built for bro's not contractors that care about tailgate lift over height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back