aftermarket wheel fitment for snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of aftermarket wheels that I want to mount studded snows on. the bolt pattern is fine, but the center ring of the hub is smaller that the wheel. Basically the wheel will be centered with just the lugnuts on the stud. Is this ok or is it unsafe?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You should get centering rings / hub rings for the wheels.

These wheels are 20 years old , so if its unsafe without the rings, I will just get some junkyard steels.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have a set of aftermarket wheels that I want to mount studded snows on. the bolt pattern is fine, but the center ring of the hub is smaller that the wheel. Basically the wheel will be centered with just the lugnuts on the stud. Is this ok or is it unsafe?

Totally safe if your wheels have tapered, self centering bolt holes. I've never bothered with centering rings on my snow rims and they all seem to run smooth. In theory you may have a wheel slightly uncentered but I've never had an issue. I just snug up and then torque in a star pattern.

These wheels are 20 years old , so if its unsafe without the rings, I will just get some junkyard steels.

Thanks

A local wheel shop might be able to get you the correct rings if you show them the wheel and tell them what car you drive. They should not be expensive.

Thanks

A local wheel shop might be able to get you the correct rings if you show them the wheel and tell them what car you drive. They should not be expensive.
Tire Rack has them. They'll need to know the car for which the wheels were made and the car you are putting them on. Don't let some Mensa candidate of a tire buster throw them away.

DSC_0008_zpsmb6r6kso.jpg

I'm doing it. Dodge Caravan rims on a camry. Work fine.

While "they" make hubcentering rings for aftermarket rims, with, say a 73mm centerbore *TO* Dodge/toyota etc, I'm not aware of them making rings to make one OE fit another OE.

Not that it matters, to me. Be sure and de-rust the hub bore area next spring with a wire brush etc before putting the proper wheels back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back