Can key pop-out on fob be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2011 Buick has the switchblade-style key, in that you can fold the key into a slot on the side of the fob while it's in your pocket, then press a release button and pop the key blade out for insertion into the ignition. Well, yesterday morning, the release button stopped working. I used a small screwdriver and popped the key blade out so I could drive. But now it stays out, and doesn't lock in the open position. This means that when I'm driving, the fob -- instead of sticking straight out -- dangles alongside the steering column and occasionally bumps it. Very annoying.

It's not the key fob operation, or the battery; everything still works to open and close doors and the trunk. And I have my backup fob, which I'm using now. The problem is apparently whatever mechanical or spring latch that holds the key blade shut, releases it, and holds it open. I know if I go to the dealer, they'll simply want to sell me another fob; pricey, I'm sure.

Is it possible to take the fob apart and repair the key blade assembly? Could a locksmith do it?

You can take it apart and see what is inside there. The key is removable from the key fob on my 2007 Acura where I ran into a similar thing. It related back to lint jambed into the mechanism...There was a simple screw to take mine apart.

No screws visible, but there are closely fitted join lines where parts of the shell meet. I could try a little screwdriver work on that.

You can buy an empty shell on eBay for around $10-15. It will come with an uncut key. You can drive out the small roll pin and replace the blank key blade with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back