Can I store oil for analysis in a gatorade bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a kit to test the oil in our race car from blackstone, but it hasn't arrived yet. I needed to drain the oil yesterday as it was the last chance I'd have to pull a warm sample as we have to start tearing things apart to get to the clutch.

I used a cleaned and dried gatorade bottle to hold a bit of oil for when the analysis kit gets here. Does oil dissolve that type of plastic, or could that type of plastic contaminate the results?

Originally Posted By: Rat407
The plastic will be fine. It is a matter of if you cleaned the bottle really well that counts.
and fully dried it out before putting the oil in it. Otherwise, the UOA may detect water in the oil.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
The plastic will be fine. It is a matter of if you cleaned the bottle really well that counts.
and fully dried it out before putting the oil in it. Otherwise, the UOA may detect water in the oil.

With these two considerations taken care of, you're good!
thumbsup2.gif

and electrolytes

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

and electrolytes

And high sodium.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

and electrolytes

And high sodium.
wink.gif

Several years ago, a member here used a plastic Chinese take-out container to hold an oil sample and sodium was through the roof!

Last edited:
Ive seen these bottles leach BPA into water samples when we have sent them for analysis... But that's water...

Personally, if Im taking a sample to keep while waiting for a kit, I use a clean and dry glass jar. Far more inert.

But does it REALLY matter? Likely not.

and electrolytes

Its got what plants crave!

Originally Posted By: ddombrowski
I ordered a kit to test the oil in our race car from blackstone, but it hasn't arrived yet. I needed to drain the oil yesterday as it was the last chance I'd have to pull a warm sample as we have to start tearing things apart to get to the clutch.

I used a cleaned and dried gatorade bottle to hold a bit of oil for when the analysis kit gets here. Does oil dissolve that type of plastic, or could that type of plastic contaminate the results?

Is this your first sample or one are you comparing vs previous samples?
If comparing what are the key variables you look at?
If not, I wouldn't bother getting it tested. As above, water contamination (even a small amount) plus the possibility of other trace contaminants will completely obscure your results and make this result useless when comparing to future samples.

For future reference if your sample kit hasn't arrived you are better off using an empty oil bottle over something that had water in it.

Just for future reference, I am bumping this old thread to let people know that my Gatorade bottle sample came back at 0.0% water in the sample.

Originally Posted By: ddombrowski
Just for future reference, I am bumping this old thread to let people know that my Gatorade bottle sample came back at 0.0% water in the sample.

Given that the bottle would have been bone dry, I would expect as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back