24,300 mi shaffers 5-40 lmm duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its starting to seem like this could go on for a while.
_20160113_230414_zpsa7aypkj8.jpg

edit: just looked at the report more closely. So 24k with several quarts added...looks good but I'd get a TBN and TAN to be sure.

Last edited:
I have a blackstone kit from a while ago that i never sent in. My dealer gives me free prepaid schaffers kits so I have been using them but I will send in a blackstone in a few thousand. I thought my oil might be thinning based on the last sample so I added a pint of moly ep which made up 1/2 qt of the oil added between the last 2 samples. It does not seem to have any more moly in it than the oil normally would. I doubt I will be using it anymore as it seems to just thicken. Wonder if I can find a VOA on that....

The moly EP additive explains the thickening as the carrier for the additive is very thick, think STP.

Otherwise very good looking sample.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
No Fuel Dilution numbers? DPF or Deleted? I would be impressed with zero fuel dilution even with a deleted LMM.

Yea I deleted it pretty soon after I got it. I bought it with 112,xxx on it and I noticed it smoke sometimes which meant cracked or melted (at least not properly working) dpf but I planned on deleting it anyways. Its apparent that it wasnt bad enough to have caused any damage to the engine but I have heard that if it calls for lots of regins or creates allot of backpressure due to a damaged dpf it can take the engine with it.

I always let it run a little before I take off, especially in the cold, I use optilube fuel additive now but during this oil change I did go from powerservice to 2 stroke oil to now the optilube which is supposedly the best. I like them all but optilube is cheapest and easiest.
I plug in when it is cold in the winter.
My tuning also requires a certain amount of airflow before it allows fuel to start dumping.

All of these good habits and precautions seem to pay off.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
The moly EP additive explains the thickening as the carrier for the additive is very thick, think STP.

Otherwise very good looking sample.

Yea thanks. I really dont think I am going to use moly ep anymore. Its name suggests that it is rich in moly but it does not seem to change anything but my oil thickness. I really wish schaffers did tbn/tan testing..... Free is a good deal but they leave out a pretty important thing apparently.

Hey, on the bottom left of the chart there is 2 columns that say AN/BN and there are numbers off to the left of that. Could that be tan/tbn? I know its blank but what do those numbers represent?

EDIT: ok on a closer look the numbers to the left are the lab numbers (duh)
Im going to email them and see what I can do about getting tan/tbn numbers. There is not even a option to pay more for extra services but maybe they can shed some light on the subject.

Last edited:
Schaffers told me in an email if in the comments of the slip i write tbn and tan they will test for it with no extra charge. Wish i knew that a while ago!

Their oil really is a good deal since my sales rep gives me free kits and schaffers dont charge me for any of the testing or shipping!

Boring Dmax UOA, as typical. And that's a very good thing.

Your wear rates are practically nothing!

Keep using the oil. Keep topping it off. You're no where any reasonable condemnation limits yet. The vis, while a tad high, is not atrocious yet.

Or, put a bypass on it and use it indefinitely!

I have considered a bypass in the past but honestly now I can hardly see a cost benefit to it for me.

Well then you're in a very small fraction of BITOGer who actually THINK your way through the issue, rather than just feel it so ...
I applaud your rational approach. You are correct, it is very hard to get a fiscal payout with BP for small sump applications, especially when you can go 25k miles on "normal" filtration, and still have such incredibly low wear. It's not that it cannot be achieved, but the ROI is WAY FAR out there. And if you cannot make it to that break point, then it's an exercise in futility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4x4le
I have a blackstone kit from a while ago that i never sent in. My dealer gives me free prepaid schaffers kits so I have been using them but I will send in a blackstone in a few thousand. I thought my oil might be thinning based on the last sample so I added a pint of moly ep which made up 1/2 qt of the oil added between the last 2 samples. It does not seem to have any more moly in it than the oil normally would. I doubt I will be using it anymore as it seems to just thicken. Wonder if I can find a VOA on that....

There's a couple around, and they all show nearly no moly...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...amp;type=thread

Was one of them, in which Molakule offers some insight into the product.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Well then you're in a very small fraction of BITOGer who actually THINK your way through the issue, rather than just feel it so ...
I applaud your rational approach. You are correct, it is very hard to get a fiscal payout with BP for small sump applications, especially when you can go 25k miles on "normal" filtration, and still have such incredibly low wear. It's not that it cannot be achieved, but the ROI is WAY FAR out there. And if you cannot make it to that break point, then it's an exercise in futility.

Yea thanks. I do try to think things through, but often times I end up over thinking things, or thinking I have a better way of doing something and having it bite me in the [censored]. Then I see why everyone else does it the other way....
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 4x4le

There's a couple around, and they all show nearly no moly...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...amp;type=thread

Was one of them, in which Molakule offers some insight into the product.
yea I should have came back and mentioned I ended up finding a voa of it. I do really doubt I will be using it anymore unless I find my oil going to the thin side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back